Discouraging Gate-breaching Trespassers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would pull the tinhorn, remove the gate and relocate it to a neighbor's adjoining fence line. No access from the road and requires them to get past your neighbor. Sounds like you already have a good relationship with them so your greatest inconvenience would be reinstalling your tinhorn if you ever end up there permanently.

Next option would be to hire a caretaker to live on site.
pretty good idea there!

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call the McIntosh County Sheriff's office, explain your situation and the recent unlawful entry on your place and ask if they would provide extra patrol. We did this constantly in every office I worked for both P.D. and S.O. In fact, we had a log sheet we had to fill in or check off the places on our beat.

This also gives LE the permission of going onto your property to further check the outbuildings and the "surrounding areas".

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agree with the cell trail camera route. Don't rely on just one at the gate. I'd dot several around. I use broken ones as dummy cameras in plain sight along with a sign about video surveillance. The sign is not at the gate but a little deeper within the property so as not encourage snoopers from the road. Then have the local sheriff's phone number in your 'contacts' to make a quick call.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody with a BOL, has the same problem.

A lock only discourages an honest person. Anybody that wants in, will get in.

Removing the gate and tin horn is what I had to do.

Mount a trail cam on each corner of the barn. Mounted HIGH and covering all 4 sides.

Being around Southern border exacerbates your problem. Could be illegal invaders way point, looking for food or shelter to rest.
I had a friend with property, like yours, in south Texas. He ended up selling out because of break ins and theft.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Call the McIntosh County Sheriff's office, explain your situation and the recent unlawful entry on your place and ask if they would provide extra patrol. We did this constantly in every office I worked for both P.D. and S.O. In fact, we had a log sheet we had to fill in or check off the places on our beat.

This also gives LE the permission of going onto your property to further check the outbuildings and the "surrounding areas".
Thanks for confirming LE agencies often follow an extra patrol log. I did let the MSO know of the issue and they promised to provide increased patrol.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way most trespassing laws are written its very hard to get any kind of conviction even if you catch them in the act in person. Oklahoma revised their statutes a few years back but its still a challenge to get someone arrested or even fined for it assuming you've posted it in accordance with the law.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way most trespassing laws are written its very hard to get any kind of conviction even if you catch them in the act in person. Oklahoma revised their statutes a few years back but its still a challenge to get someone arrested or even fined for it assuming you've posted it in accordance with the law.

Arrested?

S...S...S!

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm guessing you have an REC for your electric service; you might see if they're offering fiber service. That'll get you relatively inexpensive internet access, which opens up your possibilities on security cameras with remote monitoring.
I was going to suggest this as well . . .

Latest posts

Top Bottom