New bolt action rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I plan on getting a new rifle and scope here in about a month, maybe less. I need some suggestions, what does everyone have, like, love, hate, sold cuz you couldn't stand it, etc. I should mention a few guidelines regarding my decision: must be .308, bolt action, weather resistant (whether it's stainless, or just a durable finish is fine) sub MOA groups out of the box (not difficult nowadays) must be drilled and tapped for scope base from factory (again not difficult.) Beyond that, I'd like to be out the door with a rifle, scope, and rings for less than $1000. A little over is ok, but approaching $1100 I'd rather not do

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are those the tacticool ones designed for police departments? One thing I guess I forgot to mention is intended use: deer and hogs @ at whatever distance I feel I can reliably drop them with one shot... Soooo probably 500 yds and less. Oh and I'm not some crazy high speed hunter with feeders and ATVs and stuff, I'm kinda poor. So whenever I go hunting I'm only gonna have my chevrolegs, so a lighter-ish weight rifle/scope combo would be preferred.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My #1 deer rifle is a Ruger 77 flatbolt .308 with a Leupold Vari-X II 3X-9X scope. Not what you're looking for, but my bad weather rifle might be more like it. It is a Ruger American Compact .308 with a Leupold Compact 2X-7X scope. Short, light, accurate, and the price is right. I bought mine @ Sooner State Pawn last fall. It has a short buttstock, but it works just fine for me and I am 6'4".

Cedar Creek

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad you mentioned the ruger american. I've been intrigued by that, and the Savage axis for about a year now. Although if forced to choose one, I'd probably go with the axis, because there are aftermarket stocks available already.

Latest posts

Top Bottom