New bolt action rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Even though I like the 7X57, I'm looking at getting Ruger's left handed scout in stainless steel and in .308(It has an 18" barrel compared to the blued model which only has a 16" barrel). Besides my Mini-14, and several .22lr guns, I should be set as rifle's go.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Axis is an entry level rifle with a lousy trigger. Needs a lot of massaging, and should not be your choice if you can afford better. Rem 700, Savage 110 are much better. Axis just feels cheap when you pick it up. Same for the Remington cheepie, forget the model no. ?770?

Ruger 77 Mk II used to come with a terrible trigger. Not sure about the newer ones. Otherwise, good rifles. I spent over $100 upgrading the trigger on my 77 all weather 30-06.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I'm set on a savage hog hunter in .308. As this is going to be my "anything larger than coyotes and rabbits" rifle. Talked to Scott @ Blue Collar (LGS) and he assured me he could get me out the door for $475. Which if my thinking is correct, is hardly $100 more than an axis. And for the accutrigger and a stock that I won't feel I need to replace immediately... worth it. And that still leaves me quite a bit for glass and sling and decent ammo.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a good deal.
Plenty left for optics. Sorry about the light trigger Steve i added 1.5 turns to it..It add a bit more pull to it.
Taking tools next outing ..and i got some 168Amax bullets to try out. as this last batch of 165 gameking hollow points
has had as much as .020" different OAL on seating..my first few hundred only varied about .008" at the most.
I think there are some quality control issues going on in some of the components for building your own ammo today.

I had fun shooting the 45's also with you..1988fps from a your 45acp ..AWESOME!

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah dude. That Liberty USM45 is awesome. Scott at Blue Collar Tactical suggested them when I asked for a 45acp round that was less likely to overpenetrate in a defensive shooting scenario. They're very light for a 45 at 75gr but they also move VERY fast. And with those in an alloy frame 1911, all day carry with a full size handgun is not at all uncomfortable.... With the right holster.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I'm set on a savage hog hunter in .308. As this is going to be my "anything larger than coyotes and rabbits" rifle. Talked to Scott @ Blue Collar (LGS) and he assured me he could get me out the door for $475. Which if my thinking is correct, is hardly $100 more than an axis. And for the accutrigger and a stock that I won't feel I need to replace immediately... worth it. And that still leaves me quite a bit for glass and sling and decent ammo.

Man I don't know if $475 is that good of a deal. They are on GB right now for $409.95 Buy it Now plus $25 shipping so after transfer you would still be under $450. And my local gun guy almost always is cheaper OTD than any buy it now price I can find on GB.

Latest posts

Top Bottom