New cartridge for 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The .308 is a couple hundred fps slower than the 30-06 standard load of 165/168 grain loads but accomplishes the same speed as the '06 by using 150 grain bullets which seems to be its sweet spot. I'm pretty sure an animal or human won't know the difference in 18 grains at any distance. One would have to go out to 500 yards or further to see any significant difference in trajectory between the 150 grain and the 168.
.308 is a current military round with lots of brass around and if tradition runs true, what is current in the military transfers to the civilian market.
After WWII, the '06 was the king on the battlefield and the darling of the 1000 yard matches at Camp Perry until the 60's or so. The .308 has never made an appearance at the 1000 yard matches that I'm aware of because there are calibers out there that are better suited these days.
Thanks, but that wasn't the question... :D

I was wondering how the .308 compares to the 6.8 (for the AR platform).
:drunk2:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Short action cartridges vs long action cartridges is the determining factor in the AR platforms.
6.8 is new this year and offered in bolt guns only currently.
Someone will put it into the AR-15 platform soon and I'll look at it closely as a future build for another AR.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With a SAAMI max C.O.A.L of 2.955 the 6.8 Western may not fit in either an AR-15 (definitely not) nor an AR 10. Although, the latter is the only one of the two that’s possible. What is a short vs a long action for the AR world, is not the same as what short vs long action for the rest of the rifle world. For example, the .308 Winchester with an overall length of 2.8” is a short action rifle anywhere except ARs. What makes a cartridge a long action outside of ARs is requiring an action the same size or similar to the 30-‘06 dimensions, or an overall length of near 3.34.” So while, in the rest of the rifle world you can shove a 6.8 Western into a “short action,” it won’t ever fit into an AR 15, which is designed around a cartridge overall length of 2.260.” If you want it in an AR, it’ll have to be an AR-10.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With a SAAMI max C.O.A.L of 2.955 the 6.8 Western may not fit in either an AR-15 (definitely not) nor an AR 10. Although, the latter is the only one of the two that’s possible. What is a short vs a long action for the AR world, is not the same as what short vs long action for the rest of the rifle world. For example, the .308 Winchester with an overall length of 2.8” is a short action rifle anywhere except ARs. What makes a cartridge a long action outside of ARs is requiring an action the same size or similar to the 30-‘06 dimensions, or an overall length of near 3.34.” So while, in the rest of the rifle world you can shove a 6.8 Western into a “short action,” it won’t ever fit into an AR 15, which is designed around a cartridge overall length of 2.260.” If you want it in an AR, it’ll have to be an AR-10.
In a standard AR-15 your correct. Modifications can be made to the AR-15 platform to accommodate longer cartridges though.
My .243 WSSM cartridge is 2.362 in in overall length. Requires a special bolt/magazine and modifications to the upper to allow the fat round to get out the ejection port. Olympic arms once produced a .22-250 in the AR-15 platform that never became popular because they folded about the time it came out.
But I see your point with the length of the 6.8 Western because the mag well won't support that length. It was a good thought on my part though! :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom