"New" Colt 1903

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I picked this up on gunbroker.com. It's a good shooter! :thumb: However, I did manage to break the mainspring on it. :( Yea I know I already feel like a dumbass.

Anyone know how to put these back together correctly? I'm 99% sure I am, but when I got it the grip safety didn't work so I took it apart to put it back together the correct way and followed an online walkthrough to put it back together without luck. That's when I broke the mainspring and now I have one one order.

Anyway here's the pics when I got it, trying to get that ugly paint off it right now and just shine her up a bit without taking too much away from it.
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I think I found the culprit. It's unfortunate I had to break a mainspring just so I could figure it out... But the grip safety is bent. Any Ideas on how to bend it back? I don't wanna break THAT to!

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know how to put them together...maybe an assembly video on the internet. If the 1903 works with the grip safety bent I would leave it that way. I would be affraid it would break if you cold bend it and if you heat it you may change the way the metal looks.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, i mean i know i can get a new grip safety for like ~30-40 but I'd rather try to fix this one. It does work but makes the grip safety useless and I like everything to function on a gun like it's supposed to ya know??

Anyways, acetone nail polish remover took the paint off. They look pretty good, I'm not sure why someone painted them. I paid 425 for this gun:

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I fixed it, the grip safety is suprisingly ductile. I carefully put it in a vice and tapped on them with a hammer. Now the gun functions as it should. Just waiting for the new mainspring to come in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom