"New" Colt 1903

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks waaaaaaaay better now. Good job fixin' her up. Paint the grips red? Who would do that to a gun?

Man I don't know, especially original (possibly?) Colt grips? But there isn't really any pitting in the whole gun. Just some of the nickel is worn off. And very few deep scratches so if i wanted to refinish it, I have a feeling it would come up nice.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Cool guns. My grandpa has one.

It's nickle?

I get irritated with some of the people who blow their tops at the mention of refinishing an old gun. It's your gun, refinish it if you want to. I wouldn't recommend gold plating or painting it OU red - and even as much as I love OSU - I'd stay away from orange too. But it's yours. If you've wanted a gold plated Colt 1903 since you were a kid, by golly, get it gold plated.

Personally, even in the interest of someone's perceived "collector" value, unless you have one in fantastic condition, or some kind of rare combination; a quality refinish by a 'smith who specializes in it probably isn't going to hurt the value that much.

Check this out:

thetruthaboutguns.com_wp_content_uploads_2010_06_Image2.jpg

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/06/john-suttie/project-gun-colt-1903-reso-mod/

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man that's a heck of a good looking gun! Yea it's nickel. I believe factory finish. But if it wasn't factory I would as sure as heck refinish it how I wanted. I might pakerize it in the future. i like the blued look, but it's not a very good protection finish.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Bluing is fine if you're not going to carry it. Being allergic to nickle, I don't care for it too much as a finish. Trust me, a rash on your belt line is both awkward and uncomfortable.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes sir! I wish they didn't stop making these sweet little pieces. I could only imagine what they would cost now. But a polymer version in 9mm would be sex for a ccw. IMO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom