"New" Colt 1903

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I am not aware of something here, is this original 1903 dark blue finish "nickle" plated? I thought it was some kind of factory blueing process from the early 1900s.

I have a few firearms I would like to clean up a little. Would not Fltz polish off some of the nickle blueing?

I have a satin nickle finished Colt 45 that is whiteish color (in comparison the the above pictures) that I would like to clean up. Over the years there are a few scratches that have "polished" the satin finish. It would be nice to get it back to something uniform, even if it is not as "satin" as parts of it are now.

Any one have suggestions or opinions?

Arin Morris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, no suggestions or opinions, but that is a nice piece. I like older guns. They seem to have more, "character". A lot of 'em now days are like cars, different manufactures, but a lot look the same.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Flitz is good stuff. I've used it on nickel and blued guns. The only gun that it took off the "blueing" was on a Star Firestar that I had. I believe the finish was not actual blueing, but kind of a baked on finish.

By the way....nice looking 1903.

Last edited:

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys, this is an original nickel factory coating. It's just so old, that it's gotten darker. This is what the shiny ones would look like if you don't take care of them. LOL. I don't think I'll touch it at all because the bronze is starting to show under the nickel.

Thanks for the very kind compliments. Yea I like a gun with a little character. A lot of guns will go boom and shoot well, but that's not everything. I wish they made these in 9mm. It would be sweet..

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish they made these in 9mm. It would be sweet..
Well, it's not a 9mm, but if you want to see a sweet gun in .45 ACP, check out Cylinder&Slide's M2008. It's Bill Laughridge's idea of what a M1903/1908 would look like in .45ACP, and it is a beautiful gun. The down side, of course, is the price, which ranges from $2800 to around $3500, depending on options. Still, it is an awesome looking gun. Congrats again on your M1903.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom