New Diesel owner and a quick question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you plan on getting 500K and don't mind getting dirty, you might as well start working on it. The engine may last that long, but the transmission will fail and you will have lots of leaks and other minor issues. Just google most of your problems and you should be able to fix most things. The turbo pedestal bracket is known for leaking, as is the high pressure oil pump(hpop), so figure out if the leak coming from the front of the engine or the rear. Don't let the fact that it's diesel scare you. There is a bit of a learning curve, but 7.3s are simple to work on compared to most of the newer diesels.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
There are several places in the valley that are potential sources for oil leaks. Often times it's just the oring on the yellow water drain spout on the fuel filter. And its diesel seeping and not oil.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are several places in the valley that are potential sources for oil leaks. Often times it's just the oring on the yellow water drain spout on the fuel filter. And its diesel seeping and not oil.
Yup, very common. Also if/when you start having injector issues it's probably just the wiring harness in the valve cover gaskets.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
there’s a oil leak from the top of the motor
My money is the 2 plugs on the HPOP need new O rings. Very common and will happen to all 7.3s after time. If you can see them on the back side of the HPOP, its literally a 5 minute job to fix. Do it before one has a complete blowout or you will be on the side of the road.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My money is the 2 plugs on the HPOP need new O rings. Very common and will happen to all 7.3s after time. If you can see them on the back side of the HPOP, its literally a 5 minute job to fix. Do it before one has a complete blowout or you will be on the side of the road.
mine has an oil leak too so I changed those 2 o rings...very simple fix. And I have to change the orings on the fuel filter drain valve every 2-3 years it seems they stay leaking in winter time.

unfortunately my leak is coming from on top near the back of the engine and im afraid its the turbo pedestal...just gonna let that one ride for a little while lol. Got that "self-changing" oil system currently.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pick this one up last week and drove it back to the Tulsa area from Amarillo. It has 174k miles on it and it’s a limited trim package. My wife calls it a bus, I call it a tank. As far as working on it, I’ve worked on my gas powered vehicles, changing oil, u-joints, shocks and brakes, and don’t have a problem doing that on this one, but there’s a oil leak from the top of the motor and being new to the diesel world I really don’t want to mess something up. Been reading about the 7.3 and I set a goal of getting 500k out of this motor. This website has some good information on the 7.3 leaks, etc.

https://deadheaddiesel.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You should order the oring for the HPOP rear plug and replace it yourself whether that is where it is leaking or not, while you're at it order a set of orings for the drain valve on the fuel filter housing because as mentioned already its just a matter of time before they leak and its nice to have a set on hand. The HPOP plug wasn't my problem but the factory oring was in horrible shape (my truck only has 140k miles) and looked ready to give out at any minute. Hardest part about that job is getting the female threads super clean of oil before installing the plug with locktite.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Cenex diesel has additives already in the fuel if there's one available. Been serving me well for almost 20 years now. If not, you just want to buy from a location that goes thru a lot of fuel.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cenex diesel has additives already in the fuel if there's one available. Been serving me well for almost 20 years now. If not, you just want to buy from a location that goes thru a lot of fuel.
Get the Pilot app. You get a .03 discount at the fuel pump for diesel or gas. They go through a LOT of diesel fuel daily.

Latest posts

Top Bottom