New duty rig and a question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This thread is mainly directed to my fellow dinosaurs, who carried a revolver duty rig back in the day. You kids that never knew anything but plastic pistols will probably be as clueless as **** and as lost as a baby possum.

Since I found a killer deal on a duty holster for my 3 inch model 65-2, I've decided to put together a new duty rig for my little K frame.

Here's the holster I picked up from www.cdnninvestments.com

aep_yimg_com_ca_I_cdnn_2090_2654823_.gif

It's made by Gould & Goodrich in ballistic nylon, made speciffically for a 3 inch M&P revolver. I know, I know...it's a sin to carry a revolver in anything other than gunleather, but at 20 bucks? Yeah...I thought it would be ok. ;)

Now then...here's the REAL question.

Which speedloader pouch? :anyone:

I'm looking at a few different speedloader pouches. Basically, there are only two different kinds. You have the standard flapped double pouch that carries a pair of speedloaders on the belt, the pouch protruding away from the belt...

[Broken External Image]

And you have the "split six" type that wrap around the belt, holding the pair of speedloaders that stradle the belt, with three rounds on either side...

[Broken External Image]

While the "split six" design is less obtrusive and bulky, being closer to the body, they are a kinda PITA to remove from the belt. Plus, Safariland doesn't offer them in a "nylon look" finish like they do on the other style.

Then, they have this type of triple carrier...

[Broken External Image]

According to some reviews I've read on the interwebs, removing the speedloaders require skills that few have. Of course, opinions are like noses. :rolleyes2

Which one would YOU pick?

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've used the split-six both for duty and the Bianchi plain clothed version for off duty, and for me they worked great. I still have both, but only use the Bianchi.

PM inbound.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As much as I would have loved too, even being a young guy, my former department wouldn't allow revolvers, so I stick to my 1911.

I personally like the first option if you could get it in an open top.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like number 3 and I also would throw at ya.....carry another revolver!

The fastest reload is another gun!!!!!

Ah! The ol' New York reload! Oh, I already do that. My J frame model 38 Airweight Bodyguard hasn't left my pocket since October 2008.

baldeTech Open Kydex.

They don't make it to fit a 2.25" wide duty belt.

1.75" belt only.

blackknight22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Way back when I used the split six and it seemed to work ok. The 3 speedloader holder seems interesting. There should be a few of those floating around from the guys that went to CLEET firearms instructor school and the revolvers were included (till last year).

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would NOT use option #3 for a duty belt.

That is a competition rig and is not secure enough for police work.

I would use #1. It will be the best combination of security and access.

I do not like any open top design for a police duty belt given all the other things we do, when it comes to survival items like spare ammunition.

When you add all the items we carry, including armor, and then throw in a mix of fighting, running, climbing, getting in and out of cars etc, it is nothing like concealed carry or a competition and should not be treated as such.

Michael Brown

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would NOT use option #3 for a duty belt.

That is a competition rig and is not secure enough for police work.

I would use #1. It will be the best combination of security and access.

I do not like any open top design for a police duty belt given all the other things we do, when it comes to survival items like spare ammunition.

When you add all the items we carry, including armor, and then throw in a mix of fighting, running, climbing, getting in and out of cars etc, it is nothing like concealed carry or a competition and should not be treated as such.

Michael Brown

Good point MB. :respect:

Latest posts

Top Bottom