New guy wanting to try some pistol shooting competitions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been shooting pretty much my entire life (family from rural Oklahoma) but I have never shot anything competitively. I would like to try a pistol shooting comp but have no idea where to start. What would you all recommend? I have heard that the H&H Sunday night sessions are fun but I really have no idea. I would prefer something where I won't embarrass myself ha ha. Thanks everyone.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been shooting pretty much my entire life (family from rural Oklahoma) but I have never shot anything competitively. I would like to try a pistol shooting comp but have no idea where to start. What would you all recommend? I have heard that the H&H Sunday night sessions are fun but I really have no idea. I would prefer something where I won't embarrass myself ha ha. Thanks everyone.

There were a couple of replies here earlier offering to help new shooters get into competitive shooting. For some reason they have been deleted?

I will say it again, the competitive shooting community is awesome and more than willing to help out in any way possible. If you have any questions please feel free to PM and I will help out any way I can. There are tons of matches around with lots of opportunities to get going.

If this offer to help out a fellow shooter is a violation of forum rules, I'd like an explanation.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Horty, shot you a PM.

H&H is a good place to start, but there are a bunch of other matches as well. Like Rusty said, we want to see the sport grow.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What Rusty and Mike said above. Bring your gun and come shoot. You will find everyone helpful and no one will make fun of you. We all started at the bottom. When I first started, I had to just quit shooting after I shot all the mags I had cause I couldn't knock all the steel down. It was a little humiliating but you see your weaknesses and work on them till you get better. I guarantee you will have a blast.

R

racnsoonr

I am a complete noob and everyone that I've met has been very helpful. Each match has a short brief for the new shooters to help get you going in the right direction to have fun and be safe before they start.
So far, I have shot in 3 matches at heartland and haven't made it to h/h yet. I made it to OKC's action pistol match last week for the first time....(AWESOME)
I agree with all that they have stated above...
I have found my new hobby/sport and having a great time!

Jason

Last edited:

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a little match at Heartland Outdoors this Sunday you should look into. The difficulty is very mild and its a good match for new shooters.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And of course there is always Cowboy Action out at the OKC Gun Club in Arcadia. Why limit yourself to one gun at an indoor range when you can shoot 4 per stage in CAS?:Heya:

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't know the sass guys as well as the uspsa/3 gun crowd but I'm positive that if you showed up to any local match you would be welcomed warmly. We have been known to drag spectators into matches too with gear lent from experienced guys.

Don't worry about looking like a seasoned pro though, it wont happen instantly, but nobody is going to be harsh because you aren't fast/accurate. You will get support and pointers from some of the best shooters in the country though. Oklahoma's talent pool runs pretty deep.

C

chadillac

I just signed up for IDPA intro at "nighthawk customs training academy" in Centerton, Ark. Its 55 dollars for the class and the classifier, Im stoked to get started doing matches

Latest posts

Top Bottom