New Invention That May Make The Iron Dome Obsolete

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Israel has invented the "Iron Beam" which recently had a 90% knockdown rate of missiles, rockets and other airborne destructive devices. The cost s *gasp* $3.50 per shot compared to the Iron Dome at tens of thousands of dollars to intercept a single rocket or missile! That sounds like it would make the Iron Dome obsolete and infuriate Iran and quite possible Russia since the relationship between Russia and Israel isn't the best of late.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hasn't that technology been used on the USS Enterprise for years? I think Scotty was in charge of that system.

It has been amazing to me to watch the history of imaginative writers "movie set" products become reality. Even from the first Star-track movie with "personal communicators" was at least 10-15 years ahead of cell phones, then later "Computer tell (or show) me XX" and hundreds of other items which have finally hit the reality stage.

With what I remember, first we had huge multiple truck mounted laser units, then a shipboard fitted laser beam system years ago. Later I read about a C-130 aircraft version, and the last I heard about was a unit s fitted on a Black Hawk Helo. The power source weight and size seems to be the big item. Wonder how long it will be till we get down to the backpack or "Phaser" size?

Thanks for posting,

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone is working on laser point defense, but the only ones I know of that have used it in combat are the Turks. They shot down a drone from another country in Syria. We are really trying to put them on ships and have deployed a couple of different versions as test articles.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
....If this is true, then good for them.
Remind me - if they have the excess funds for this magnitude of R&D - then why are we subsidizing them with US dollars?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
....If this is true, then good for them.
Remind me - if they have the excess funds for this magnitude of R&D - then why are we subsidizing them with US dollars?
Because Israel shares it with us. Aspects of the Iron Dome have been put into our latest missiles and some from our missiles is in Iron Dome.

Latest posts

Top Bottom