New pipe fence - paint or leave rusty?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfor8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've put in about a half mile of pipe fence; plenty more to do. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience comparing longevity of painted vs. unpainted. I like the aesthetics of unpainted, but would paint if I thought the lifespan would be significantly longer. One consideration is, if painted, you're guaranteed to have to repaint several times over the years. Thoughts?

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have fence made from welded 2" pipe and sucker rod that was here when we bought the house more than 35 years ago. Not saying it isn't showing some wear, but it's more than solid enough to hold anything that can't jump. I'm sure it would look better painted, but can't complain about how it has held up.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've put in about a half mile of pipe fence; plenty more to do. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience comparing longevity of painted vs. unpainted. I like the aesthetics of unpainted, but would paint if I thought the lifespan would be significantly longer. One consideration is, if painted, you're guaranteed to have to repaint several times over the years. Thoughts?

How old are you? How thick poles?

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If i was going to paint would do black or brown and use a airless spray gun, have used mitts before and it leaves fuzz all over it and to me puts to thick of a coat of paint on and takes forever for it to dry fully.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
fencing pipe or like, drill stem?

Regular fence pipe id paint. Drill stem, not so much.

We put in drill stem poles, H braces and corners when I was a kid. I was the water boy. The stems were plated on bottom and top, then painted. 55 years and no telling how long they will stand. Paint lasted decently 20 years. Probably some cancer filled asbestos thick silver paint, it was thick like cornbread batter

Latest posts

Top Bottom