New pipe fence - paint or leave rusty?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
If i was going to paint would do black or brown and use a airless spray gun, have used mitts before and it leaves fuzz all over it and to me puts to thick of a coat of paint on and takes forever for it to dry fully.

If it was to windy I would use rubber gloves to paint it, kinda like the gloves we use to apply roskote mastic to steel Pipe before we put it in the ground. Same idea as a mitt.

Hell, I’d even put roskote mastic on my pipe posts I’m putting in the ground. 3’ or whatever up. Whatever is above ground no need to coat but the mastic will definitely make your pipe last longer in the ground.

ADA2AEC9-5527-4255-8C61-5839C26FC268.jpeg

snipes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've painted several thousand feet of pipe fence in the last couple years (I'm a paint contractor).
Spraying wastes too much material and doesn't give you the mils for longevity.
Mini roller is the way to go.
Doesn't waste material and gives you the mils you need
Sherwin Williams Pro Industrial Waterborne Urethane is what you want.
Satin or low sheen in black

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i always used red oxide paint with about a quart of boiled linseed oil added to each gallon. used a rubber glove inside of a wool mit so as not to waste paint and get it on all over. have some that is over 30 years and still just fine. opps.... it has been 43 years. time fly

User_3155

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My neighbor basically had the exact fence built that you have only his has cable. The first time he painted it he used a mitt. He made it about 75 yards out of 3,000 ? He then hired some uh, fellas to finish it. About 3-4 years later he used an airless and painted it again. Has held up good now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom