New -- Ruger LCP II / LCP2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aha, so this is why original LCPs have been going for crazy low prices around $220 lately.

http://ruger.com/products/lcpII/models.html

Seems like a lot to like here: True last shot hold open, Glockish trigger with a single reset, more grip stippling, bit more grip to hold onto, looks like improved sights. Backwards compatible with original LCP magazines (although the last-round hold open won't work with them). Comes with a pocket holster.

Possible cons: the grip has gotten a bit wider, the gun has gained about 1 oz of weight. The new aesthetic reflects the angular look of the new Ruger American Pistol; I don't love it but don't really care.

Few more data points:
* http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2016/10/impressed-thus-far.html (from an ongoing test)
* (useful short YT comparison with LCP I)

Overall I would say these changes reflect the market's recognition that, in the real world, the tiny .380s are not mainly used as BUGs by private citizens -- rather, they are primary carry guns for a lot of people. It is what it is. So they are being given more "real gun" features. (The SIG P238 was the breakthrough gun on this score.)

I am almost certainly going to buy one of these. As long as the LCP II does not compromise any of the EXCELLENT reliability of the original LCP -- something Ruger really got right with that gun -- then it should be a big success.

I wonder if LCP I belt holsters will fit the LCP II.

Last edited:

TSQUARE

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is nice to see more and more manufacturers listening to what we want as gone toting deplorable citizens. I like the last shot hold open, and am anxious to feel the trigger. I would love to see version that has the amazing trigger that the lc9s pro has.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gun Blast video:
Shooting Ruger's NEW LCP II 380 Pocket Pistol - Gunblast.com

Published on Nov 26, 2016

Last edited:

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is nice to see more and more manufacturers listening to what we want as gone toting deplorable citizens. I like the last shot hold open, and am anxious to feel the trigger. I would love to see version that has the amazing trigger that the lc9s pro has.
The Trigger is better than the LC9S

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried the trigger on one and it was VERY nice for a pocket pistol. The sights were great and the gun felt better than it looked but it is definitely not smooth and rounded like the first one which I think is a mistake for a pocket gun. Kinda wish they would have kept the old one and just put the new sights and trigger on it, I don't really care about a slide release on this type of weapon if it will make the gun bigger.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I tried the trigger on one and it was VERY nice for a pocket pistol. The sights were great and the gun felt better than it looked but it is definitely not smooth and rounded like the first one which I think is a mistake for a pocket gun. Kinda wish they would have kept the old one and just put the new sights and trigger on it, I don't really care about a slide release on this type of weapon if it will make the gun bigger.

The LCP 2 is significantly thicker than the original both on the grip and on the slide. I was going to buy one a couple weeks ago until I handled it side by side with a kimber solo. Because of the added size I think the LCP 2 and Solo carry about the same in the front pocket, despite the solo being a bit larger. If they would have made the LCP 2 the same size as the original I may have bought that one. Ended up picking up a solo. The only drawback I have heard about is that you need to carry 124 grain hollow points or it can be finicky, well that's all I'd carry anyways.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one and it was just too small. I didn't like shooting it and couldn't hardly hold
It because of the size.

I had one too...hated the damned thing. I couldn't hit the barn with it, unless I was inside, then it was a maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom