New scope unable to handle recoil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate08chevy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
All,

While at the range, I had a hard time getting it to zero and the turret adjustment just didn't seem to adjust POI like I thought it should. Called it good 2" high and .75" left of center w/ 3 shot group at 1.25" c/c. Took 30 rounds to get there after A LOT of flyers.

Shot it before a hunt and it was all over the place. 1st shot 4" right of center then 2nd shot 3" left of center... and that was repeatable after a box of ammo. All shots were from a bench with weighted rest.

Ripped the new one off and the old scope sighted in with 9 shots to where I wanted it.

The rifle is a very light weight .30-06 that kicks pretty hard. Should I try putting it on a lighter recoil rifle before sending it for warranty work? My fear is spending more money on shipping for them to tell me it's fine when it just won't hold up to the recoil. Name brand scope and spent $300 on it.

TL : DR New scope doesn't seem to hold zero with a heavy recoil rifle. Should I try it on a lighter recoil rifle to see if the problem is repeatable before sending it in?

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.30-06 does not have THAT MUCH recoil! I, too, would suggest you contact the manufacturer. They will probably tell you to send it in, but you might need a Return Authorization Number to do so. Something ain't right!

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.30-06 does not have THAT MUCH recoil! I, too, would suggest you contact the manufacturer. They will probably tell you to send it in, but you might need a Return Authorization Number to do so. Something ain't right!
My old bolt action 30-06 with a metal butt plate kicks. Put 40 rounds down it and you will feel it the next day.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
If it worked with the old scope, that eliminates the gun so I would say the new scope is defective.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old bolt action 30-06 with a metal butt plate kicks. Put 40 rounds down it and you will feel it the next day.

Oh, trust me, I hear you. I regularly shoot .375 H&H Magnum, .375 Weatherby Magnum, and .458 Winchester Magnum, all of them scoped. They have quality scopes on them, and the optics hold up just fine. Two of the 'hardest kicking' rifles I ever fired were a 6.5x55 Swedish and a .270 Winchester, but that is felt recoil. It's a matter of rifle weight and stock design. If the stock doesn't fit you, it's gonna' hurt. The lighter the rifle, the more recoil you're gonna' feel

So does my old Eddystone (finally put a rubber recoil pad on it). :D

But any centerfire scope should easily handle it.

^^^ THIS ^^^

Nate08chevy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The rifle is a 22" barrel with a hollow stock. It's really light weight. A recoil pad did wonders! I was shocked at how much it reduced the felt recoil. It hits harder than a .338 win mag with hot hand loads I've shot...

The scope manufacturer claims it'll "handle" up to .50BMG, so figured there wouldn't be an issue. I think I'll call them after the holidays and just see what they say. One of the reasons I went that brand is their forever no questions asked warranty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom