New scope unable to handle recoil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate08chevy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
A .30-06??? I don't THINK so! But, the scope still should not have failed.

Yes sir. The owner of the .338 shot both side by side and agreed the 30-06 kicked more. Regardless, you're right, the new scope shouldn't have failed.

I'm hoping they will honor the warranty or send me an upgrade for the trouble!

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you read the instructions? Newer scopes have different features that sometimes operate differently than older simpler scopes.
I had problems with a new p223 nikon until I read the instructions.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shook apart 3 scopes on my 30-06 Mossberg 100atr A Bass pro Pursuit the factory one that came on it and a Bushnell.
I have a pellet rifle scope an old model centerpoint 4-16x40. Has fallen 10 foot from a tree to the frozen ground and did not change zero.

My 30-06 has a very tight bore and kicks very hard..Yes it is light and pressures come up quick with 4064 powder..If i use RL15 the recoil is milder closer to my heavy .308.
A quick rise in pressure will feel worse on the shoulder more like a punch.. use very slow powder and it is more like a hard push.

If the scope does not hold zero on the heavy rifle it will not do well on a light recoil either..I tried a scope on my .223 ar that would not hold zero on my 30-06. did not hold zero on .223 either.
Now i have 3 crappy scopes.

The last centerpoint I got was 1.5 years ago and it was crap.
Someone said they have 3 of the 100ATR mossbergs and 2 are mild kicking and the third one just kills you to pull the trigger.

I wonder if the bore is tight..I can pull a bore snake through my .308 savage pretty easy. I have to add much more force to pull it through the Mossberg 30-06.

Nate08chevy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bore is tight (that's what she said :hey3:) and the stock is really light. It's a cheap rifle but is accurate and has been reliable. It has multiple deer and elk kills under its belt.

I'll read through the instructions again to see if I missed anything. Hell I may upgrade the rings just to see what happens. Would give a reason to punch some paper holes lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom