New Shooter in Norman

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdec

New to the site!
Reaction score
Hey I grew up in Arizona and am going to school in Norman - where can I plink on public land?!

I'm used to going into the desert in Arizona but am unsure where to go in Oklahoma. Lake Thunderbird somewhere?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is no BLM land in OK like there is in AZ.
There are some ranges on Wildlife Department hunting areas, and you need a hunting license.

If I were in Norman, I'd go south across the river on I35, take the first left, and talk to the folks at Tri City range. Nearly all the shooting land in OK is private.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I were in Norman, I'd go south across the river on I35, take the first left, and talk to the folks at Tri City range. Nearly all the shooting land in OK is private.
Tri City is the closest range if you want to shoot rifles. The last time I was out there, the range was not staffed (when you went through the annual safety orientation, they gave you that year's combo for the lock on the gate), but it has been several years since I let my membership lapse. They do have periodic "open" shooting events (CMP shoots, Appleseed shoots, etc) when they do have personnel on-site, but I don't know about the rest of the time. When I was a member, the meetings were in Midwest City (IIRC).

Their Web site is here: http://www.tricitygunclub.org/

The Lex range, as I recall, only requires a hunting license during deer gun season, but I could be mistaken on that. Its reputation is sketchy, so I wouldn't recommend going alone.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TCGC continues to have a waiting list for membership if memory serves me. Their meetings are at the Community Center in Goldsby now and there's one this Friday @ 7:30 PM, if the OP is interested in getting the most up to date info.

Latest posts

Top Bottom