New spot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I am pretty excited about a new spot I will be hunting this year.
It's in a 5-6 year old pine plantation. This stuff is thick with blackberry, ivy, oaks, etc etc. I've never seen so many signs anywhere before.

Its gonna be tricky though since there is only one main shooting lane which is about 6 feet wide and 200 yards long. Deer can approach from just about any direction. Got a blind set up since trees are too small to climb. There is not much wind in this thicket but i will probably still have to play the wind to be safe.

I've seen many bedding areas nearby which makes me think the deer use this area as shelter.
There is plenty of food too though.

I am a bit nervous about spooking them early in the season.

Any one ever hunted this stuff before? Any advice would be much appreciated.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hang a couple of stands to play the wind and put something in the shooting lane to stop them. Corn, rice bran, etc.
There has to be trails crossing the shooting lane. If not, your wasting your time sitting there, so even if they can come from any direction, find out what direction they are coming from with a trail cam. You will know when they are crossing there as well.
I have a buddy that found a major deer trail that he hunted for a couple of years without seeing a deer. When he finally got a trail cam, he found out the trail was from a bedding area to a milo field a 1/2 mile away and it was 2am to 4am that they moved across his set up.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they shelter there, then hunt the entrances, not the thicket itself. Got to
Be some terrain feature leading them in and out.
Ps You got my blind set up yet?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes leased a place down there a couple years, total crap shoot imo as to where and why bucks use certain areas over areas. Make them come to a feeder, and make the does come to feeder

Latest posts

Top Bottom