New StaBALL powder coming out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Seen on Reddit.

4F48877E-D63B-428E-972C-08D33A574E59.jpeg

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would be willing to bet lunch that many of the 'legacy' powders will be phased out; discontinued because of increasingly narrow environmental laws and regulations.

New powders, if there are any at all, will need to be drastically reformulated, and the manufacturing process completely reengineered, to adhere to the new regs.

I think finding some of the legacy powders will be more and more difficult.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, since Hodgdon recently discontinued the IMR Enduron line, I guess they are going to put the effort into this direction. Maybe it is a decision based on production facility capabilities?

I liked IMR 4451 and 4955 too.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a bunch of sta ball at jerry's today. older model probably. Had one that I never seen Hodgdon Green their answer to Green Dot it;s discontinued already. their prices looked up 5 % over last time in.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would be willing to bet lunch that many of the 'legacy' powders will be phased out; discontinued because of increasingly narrow environmental laws and regulations.

New powders, if there are any at all, will need to be drastically reformulated, and the manufacturing process completely reengineered, to adhere to the new regs.

I think finding some of the legacy powders will be more and more difficult.
What new Enviromental regulations are out there for powder? I didn't know that was an issue? I know the libs are trying to eliminate lead in the field which is debatable why, but the new copper rounds perform better than lead IMHO. More expensive but better performance.
I'm just talking off the cuff here and not disagreeing with anyone's opinion, but I "suspect" the powder companies are trying to get away from having three dozen powders that might work on three or four calibers, moving toward a more universal powder that would encompass many calibers.
There are a few out there that meet that qualification. Unique is almost a universal pistol and shotgun powder for medium power loads. Different powders needed for different loads though.
IMR-4350 is in huge demand for mid-sized center fire rifle calibers.
There is a lot of work going on with some duplex powders that are progressive in pressure for wildcat loads and so on. Not for the amateur to try.
I feel it's an economic decision vs an environmental issue, but I've been wrong before and may be again I'm sure.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The regs are not strictly for powder manufacturing.

The regs involve the solvents used during the process, and the handling of the vapors from the solvents.

Also, European regs involve the recycling/disposal of most of these industrial solvents, forcing the manufacturer to stop using them.

New manufacturing methods had/have to be developed to make the powders, and several of the more marginal sales powders will be dropped. It's not worth developing new methods for the slow sellers.

Some powders simply cannot be made at all without certain chemicals, which are now illegal to use - particularly in the EU. The regs are written in such a manner as to preclude the sale of anything made with the prohibited chemicals, regardless of country of origin.

The walls are closing in.

mmerrill

It makes sense if you don't think about it.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a bunch of sta ball at jerry's today. older model probably. Had one that I never seen Hodgdon Green their answer to Green Dot it;s discontinued already. their prices looked up 5 % over last time in.
Did you notice if they had any primers in stock? Asking for a friend...

Latest posts

Top Bottom