New StaBALL powder coming out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Ok so it’s WINCHESTER STABALL HD

and WINCHESTER STABALL MATCH

Those are The two new powders that came out in the StaBALL line of powders.

Still trying to find wtf the buzz is about on them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so it’s WINCHESTER STABALL HD

and WINCHESTER STABALL MATCH

Those are The two new powders that came out in the StaBALL line of powders.

Still trying to find wtf the buzz is about on them.
I just bought two pounds of Staybal 6.5 powder from Powder Valley. Pic posted in what did you get firearm related thread.
The biggest value in this powder is it's not temperature sensitive. 20fps spread from 100 degrees to 0 degrees. We just have to find out how good it is for accuracy now.
From the web page:
From the Winchester StaBALL 6.5 Product Page:

Winchester StaBALL 6.5 is the world’s first temperature-insensitive BALL Powder, stable in extreme-hot or -cold conditions. It provides optimal loading density in cartridges appropriate for the burn speed, which is ideal for 6 Creedmoor, 6GT, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7MM-08, 270 Winchester and many more. Typical of a ball powder, precise metering contributes to improved velocity and pressure standard deviations, ingredients that are paramount to match grade accuracy! This REACH-compliant, “environmentally green” propellant has copper fouling reducer additives, meaning longer durations of competition and field shooting without having to clean the bore. Precision accuracy throughout the match! Velocity levels obtainable, depending on the cartridge, are 30-200 fps greater than other propellants in its class. Stability, Precision and Speed, says Winchester StaBALL 6.5 is the “Best of the Best”!

I am a technology guy, willing to try the new stuff vs the legacy loads we all love. When I started reloading in 1982 the IMR-4350 was some surplus WWII powder that finally ran out in the late 80's leading to a reformulation with the same pressure capabilities. I may have a partial can of that powder in the cabinet to this day.
I'm new to the 6.5 Creedmoor winning one at a DU banquet so bought the powder designed for that range of caliber to see how it will perform. It has all the marketing tool language that makes me want to buy it, so why not is my question.
I have some 108 grain Lapua Scenars and some Norma 140 grain for the 6.5 manbun in the shop so I'll get around to loading some and doing some range tests.
The 108 grain Lapuas have already been tested at the range with a clover leaf group at 100 yds, also taking a very nice buck this season, so it's going to be hard for this new powder to improve on that. The 140's may tell a different story.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I just bought two pounds of Staybal 6.5 powder from Powder Valley. Pic posted in what did you get firearm related thread.
The biggest value in this powder is it's not temperature sensitive. 20fps spread from 100 degrees to 0 degrees. We just have to find out how good it is for accuracy now.
From the web page:
From the Winchester StaBALL 6.5 Product Page:

Winchester StaBALL 6.5 is the world’s first temperature-insensitive BALL Powder, stable in extreme-hot or -cold conditions. It provides optimal loading density in cartridges appropriate for the burn speed, which is ideal for 6 Creedmoor, 6GT, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7MM-08, 270 Winchester and many more. Typical of a ball powder, precise metering contributes to improved velocity and pressure standard deviations, ingredients that are paramount to match grade accuracy! This REACH-compliant, “environmentally green” propellant has copper fouling reducer additives, meaning longer durations of competition and field shooting without having to clean the bore. Precision accuracy throughout the match! Velocity levels obtainable, depending on the cartridge, are 30-200 fps greater than other propellants in its class. Stability, Precision and Speed, says Winchester StaBALL 6.5 is the “Best of the Best”!

I am a technology guy, willing to try the new stuff vs the legacy loads we all love. When I started reloading in 1982 the IMR-4350 was some surplus WWII powder that finally ran out in the late 80's leading to a reformulation with the same pressure capabilities. I may have a partial can of that powder in the cabinet to this day.
I'm new to the 6.5 Creedmoor winning one at a DU banquet so bought the powder designed for that range of caliber to see how it will perform. It has all the marketing tool language that makes me want to buy it, so why not is my question.
I have some 108 grain Lapua Scenars and some Norma 140 grain for the 6.5 manbun in the shop so I'll get around to loading some and doing some range tests.
The 108 grain Lapuas have already been tested at the range with a clover leaf group at 100 yds, also taking a very nice buck this season, so it's going to be hard for this new powder to improve on that. The 140's may tell a different story.

Yeah I’m aware of the 6.5 StaBALL powder. I have a pound of it myself.

Hodgdon just released two new StaBALL powders though and I am curious what they are about.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got an email about the HD this morning. Supposed to be a good powder for 300 PRC. Good data already out there for 212 and up. Looks like you can push a 230 grain A-tip out to 2800 FPS!

Latest posts

Top Bottom