New to reloading got a few questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently dove into reloading. I learned quickly that a kit is not what it takes to get you started. I have since made it over that hurdle.

I have a question concerning loading.

I got the Rock Chucker supreme kit and it came with the Speers manual, however I did not realize that the speers book would only highlight their own bullets. (I should have realized this, it seems pretty obvious now that I look at it)

I am working on my .270 first. I have bought berger VLD Hunting 130 grain, Nosler ballistic tip 130 grain, and Hornady 140 grain SST.

I am looking for any help in getting started with these bullets in the way of powder and weight.

I have a buddy that shoots the berger and he recommended H4831SC at 52.8 grains. It is a good load for him and I will use it as a starting point but I don't know the limits on the load. My guess is that I have several manuals to buy in order to get the data, unless I am missing something blatantly.

Thanks for any help guys

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always use the data somewhat "generically". I.E. 140 grain spitzer boat tail from Hornady being the same as a Sierra as far as starting loads. That's kinda why they are called starting loads. You are correct though in the technical sense. Each manual IS published for their own line of bullets.

The Lyman manual is a good one too. It has data for a variety of manufacturers. Probably the best route to go is one of the Loadbooks for each caliber you load. They compile everyone's data into one book. It's pretty interesting to see the variance among the different manuals.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would note load recommendations but still reference them with the books and work them up on my particular gun.

Welcome to the hobby!!!!

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the Berger bullets, e-mail them, and let them know your gun particulars, brass, powder, yadda yadda. They will send you a recommended load to start with. They are working on publishing their reloading manual, but say to just drop them a line for loads until then.

Welcome to your next addicting hobby, God help you. =)

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I was figuring that you could use generalized data. I can see how the companies are just covering their tail (Like the Speers Manual that I have) by saying that these loads are tested good with this specific bullet.

I have sent out an email to Berger already and only sent the bullet and caliber. I got an email back asking for more info, so I am working on that one.

I did not realize that there were caliber by caliber load books. I will definitely look into that as well.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
It's not generic load books for each caliber, "Loadbooks" is a particular book that compiles data from Speer, Sierra, Hornady, and powder companies into a book specifically for one caliber.

This is their website:
http://www.loadbooks.com/

Trying to remember where we got them from, as we bought them in a store. I have them for just about every caliber I load for.

Latest posts

Top Bottom