New Windows Suck. Any advice? Legal options?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We recently had new windows put in the house. Not a cheap proposition I can tell you.:nutkick:

Anyway, long story short, they are green. Not the frames, but the glass. Green from the outside, and inside. :censored:

Talked to the sales guy. “gee Dave, that’s the low-e. Everyone wants that. You get the tax credit.” No, not me. I want clear glass. If I had known it was going to be this green I wouldn’t have done it. The sample shown had a slight greenish tint, but nothing like this. None of the literature tells you that you will be thinking you are Kermit the Frog after installation.

Talked to the regional rep and the company that made them. “Gee Dave, that’s the low-e. Everyone wants that. You get the tax credit.” :nutkick:

Personally, I’d rather have the choice:
Want the tax credit, you have to have green windows.
Want clear windows, don’t get a tax credit.

So, now I have a house full of green freaking windows and a very unhappy spouse. :chop:

Not to mention I ain’t real happy either.:cry11:

Short of a total new order specifying clear glass and paying for the entire job over again, I’m wondering if there are any legal options anyone knows about?

Yes, I know. Legal advice on an Internet site. But it might point me in a direction I hadn’t thought about yet.

Thanks

Dave
Looking at the world thru green colored glasses.:crying::crying:

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about legal options but I can tell you that the Low-E windows in my house are NOT green. There is a very slight blue-purple-ish tint on the reflection that you can sometimes see depending on how the light hits it. But looking through them, you can't tell it's there at all.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talk to your insurance agent? Maybe there is a way to have your homeowners policy help.

I think that I'd craft a well written, tactful letter to the company president before I got too crazy with them. Sometimes just expressing your displeasure is enough to make them step up if it gets to the right level and they realize that you're not just going to go away.

Either that or have an attorney craft a non-threatening letter expressing your desires.

Might be a good local interest story for the news too... if it's a local company even better and the fact that it's a "green" story doesn't hurt either. Call them and ask.

Good luck!

Ps. If none of that works, I'd spit some Beech-nut in their eyes.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talk to your insurance agent? Maybe there is a way to have your homeowners policy help.

I think that I'd craft a well written, tactful letter to the company president before I got too crazy with them. Sometimes just expressing your displeasure is enough to make them step up if it gets to the right level and they realize that you're not just going to go away.

Either that or have an attorney craft a non-threatening letter expressing your desires.

Might be a good local interest story for the news too... if it's a local company even better and the fact that it's a "green" story doesn't hurt either. Call them and ask.

Good luck!

Ps. If none of that works, I'd spit some Beech-nut in their eyes.

I am with you ... start out nice but be formulating a plan to kill everyone involved ... :sunbath:

I would be pissed if I had Kermit green windows too ... :brick:

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sucks for sure, I can tell you from the electric company side of things that if you can get used to the windows you will enjoy the lower electric bills down the road.

Other than that see if you can check some other Low-E windows and see what the windows look like. I dont think our new houses windows are green at all and they are vinyl and low-e.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What brand of window? What level of Low-E?

I have seen the american crafstamn line of vinyl windows have a green tint to them.

None of Jeldwen windows I have seen, both wood and vinyl, I have not noticed a green tint.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel your pain, we had ours put in by a supposedly reputable company in the Tulsa area and after we got over the greenish tint look and figured we could live with it, we found that a couple of windows wouldn't latch shut without some real effort and one we can only get one latch closed on. Checked them out with the trusty level and the dang things aren't even close to level. All this without mentioning the new back door they put in and totally HACKED the trim up so it looks like crap. Now they conveniently aren't available to take my phone calls. They claim a lifetime warranty on the labor and the windows but I can't get in touch with anyone. I'm giving them until next week then I'm going to see if there's anything else I can do.
Sorry for taking up space in your thread, just wanted to share my window experience.

Latest posts

Top Bottom