Newbie needs O/U shotgun advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I currently shoot one of the Remington Spartan (made by Baikal) 310s. It's not the prettiest girl at the dance and you can tell a huge difference between it and a Browning or Beretta.

However it gets me on the skeet field and I bust clays with it. I've shot a 24/25 with it, and never had any troubles with it. I'm currently saving my pennies for a Browning. If you don't have the money right away for one of the "B" guns I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this gun. At it's price point you'll get a gun that will get you out there to see if you like the sport. If you do like it, you'll save up for a browning or beretta, and then have a serviceable loaner for friends.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please help educate me on O/U shotguns. I'm thinking about buying one, but don't know much about them. I'm wanting something for skeet/trap shooting.

Decide which one you like best, skeet or trap. One will be more appealing to you and be more fun for you than the other. Then spend as much as you can afford on a new or used shotgun made for it. A plain Jane Citori is a nice way to start but if the best gun you can afford is a $150 used budget shotgun then go for it. The most important thing is to just get out there and shoot.

Edit: What WNM said in his post right above mine +1.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My partner's brother-in-law got to the state final shoot-offs shooting Maverick 88. He also shot 23/25 using Spartan Coach gun with no chokes.

Lets be real - it's a smooth-bore shooting pellets - namedropping doesn't get you any hits: technique and practice does. Yes, a well fitting gun will make the proper technique easier but not automatic by any means.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few of the guys at the club have bought the 'B' guns. A lot of them, 70% have quit working. Now, when you add the cost of repair to the buying cost you are getting closer to the cost of 'A' guns. some of the guys have had to return to a gun smith a couple of times. Now, add the frustration of having a gun that does not work plus being without a gun while it is in the shot is not fun.

pattering - it you have a gun that patterns fine then you are ok. BUT IF your gun throws a poor pattern then what do you do.

also some of the 'a' guns have a better balance, they just swing better but on the other hand some of the ones that cost less, some guys can shoot very well with them, actually it does not matter than much what you put in their hands, they are just good.

i have never owned a trap gun, have shot skeet and trap for years with a field gun and did just fine, a lot of 25s in trap with a field gun. got a higher end skeet gun for registered skeet and it has its advantages in my opinion. but that was after years of shooting skeet with a field gun.

some of the top skeet shooters in oklahoma and texas shoot with semi-autos. especially some of the older shooters that want reduced recoil.

DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE AN O/U?
A good used beretta 390 or 391 can be had for $500 -$800. this is as good of gun as you can ask for.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot a remington 11-87 and it works just great for skeet and trap. Shot a good OU for a round and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and the recoil was significantly harder. i was going to get an OU, but decided to spend money on a Clay Delay for practice and a good set of prescription shooting glasses from DeCot... plus, lots of shells. I think I will be a better shooter doing this. Some day I might get a good OU, but don't need one yet.

B

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's like saying you want something like a sports car/pickup truck.
Skeet and trap are very different games and the guns suited specifically for each are very different, especially the stock fit.

Sure, you can buy a standard field gun and shoot it for both, but it will be optimum for neither.

Since you are in OKC, I'd suggest you drive to El Reno to talk to Gene Sears and look over his selection of used skeet and trap guns. He is also a world-class shotgunner. At the very least, you will learn the difference between a skeet gun and a trap gun. Either way, plan on getting a decent gun, not the new $400 import with barrels pointing two directions..

This is it in a nutshell.
Both are specialized sports. I tried my Citori at both, as well as sporting clays and did OK. One of the guys loaned me his trap gun at a trap shoot, and with a few adjustment of the stock, it had me shooting like a pro.
There is something to be said about taking lessons from sombody that knows what they are talking about. Your skill level will elevate exponentially.

12gabackup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know much about this whole topic. My only experience is shooting clay pigeons in the pasture off one of those three legged trap throwers.
I said all that, to say this; we were doing the above mentioned a while back and a friend pulls out a Ruger Red Label. It had 26", skeet & skeet, fixed choke barrels. Everyone who picked this gun up literally hit everything they shot at. The Red Label has been on my want list since then.(just not at the top)

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is it in a nutshell.
Both are specialized sports. I tried my Citori at both, as well as sporting clays and did OK. One of the guys loaned me his trap gun at a trap shoot, and with a few adjustment of the stock, it had me shooting like a pro.
There is something to be said about taking lessons from sombody that knows what they are talking about. Your skill level will elevate exponentially.

Do you know anyone that offers lessons and the cost?
I might be interested.

Latest posts

Top Bottom