Newbie to Muzzle... What Ammo? What powder?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTIZZLE76

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the knowledge, keep it coming! I'm not the best responder, as it's very hard to respond consistently to everyone but I am soaking up all knowledge and reading every post.

I bought my CVA used, and the owner said he shot it 8 times with out cleaning it. YIKES! I NEVER WANNA GO THROUGH THAT AGAIN! A 6 pack and 2 hours later it cleaned up nicely.

What cleaning products do you recommend that helps break down powder residue etc?

I use(d) these items:

1. Hoppes 9 Black (solvent) - cleaned
2. rem oil (wipe down exterior)
3. Froglube CLP (firing pin assembly/barrel)

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The best way to clean a muzzloader is what @2busy stated.
Hot water and dawn soap.

My buddy was cleaning his the way he did for decades and it would take him hours to get it clean using Powder solvent made for muzzleloaders.

I went to his house as he was on his 40th patch with solvent and it was still coal black.

I removed his barrel and got some hot water and dawn soap and a bore mop on the cleaning rod and started pumping the water and soap and in 3 minutes it was clean.

Dry it and lube it done.

I submerge my barrel into the water primer end about 4" deep into it.
You can pour dawn down the barrel or add it to a mop or do mop and barrel and water.
Not critical.
It removes all the crud fast.

Rinse with hot water and then run some dry patches and oiled patches through it.
You can leave the nipple in it on a side lock durning the mop I end up pulling it out and hand cleaning it. Dry it also of course.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Crud Ring is something you do not see but you do feel it.

Clean barrel first loading I dump the powder in and tamp the butt of the barrel on the top of my shoe to settle the loose powder.
Then insert bullet and slowly push it to seat firmly on top of the powder .
The bullet pushes evenly all the way down the barrel.

Make a mark on the ram rod or just remember how deep that rod is in the barrel when sitting on top of that bullet when the bullet is all the way seated.

Now after a couple shots and NO cleaning you may notice the ram rod pressure needs to be increased 2 fold to get the bullet all the way seated.

Maybe 4" to go until it is seated maybe 2" to go but it is very hard to push that bullet down all the way then all of the sudden it goes and is easy to push down now for the last 1" or so.

You just felt the Crud Ring keeping the bullet from seating all the way.

Some people may think the bullet is seated at the crud ring. That is a bad situation as black powder needs to be compressed. So make a mark on that ram rod.

JTIZZLE76

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hot and Soapy water. ✅️ Understood. Thank you! The videos I've watched have really stressed the indexing of Ram rod. I will make sure I do so. So the "crud ring" is fouling and BP residue build up in the rifling of barrel which is felt not seen when inserting and compressing pellets/loose powder as well as your sabot/bullet?

What does everyone use for anti-sieze on breach plug? I'm a Mechanic and have a BUNCH of little permatex high temp copper & regular hight temp anti-sieze packets. I thought those would come in handy in field during cleaning if need be. Is there a difference in firearm anti-sieze vs Automotive anti-sieze?

Do muzzleloaders have a "bullet preference"? My dad would always buy 3 or 4 boxes of different ammo to see what that gun/barrel liked... Are muzzys the same?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
This thread prompted me to clock out, run to the house and grab my stuff and go shoot. I bought these bullets on clearance at Wally World last year. Figured I’d give them a shot. 2 50gr pyrodex pellets, standard CCI 209 and the Smackdowns from Traditions. I might take another shot but I’m pretty pleased with the cold bore shot at about 70 yards
BDF9F2C6-AB1C-4947-9231-2CE65138F7AB.jpeg
BD90BB82-2E24-40B9-ADDC-2912F1834B1F.jpeg
0EBA60B3-1608-4D6F-A861-D93B4715C0DF.jpeg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread prompted me to clock out, run to the house and grab my stuff and go shoot. I bought these bullets on clearance at Wally World last year. Figured I’d give them a shot. 2 50gr pyrodex pellets, standard CCI 209 and the Smackdowns from Traditions. I might take another shot but I’m pretty pleased with the cold bore shot at about 70 yards
View attachment 521661View attachment 521665View attachment 521666
Dang good shooting! I’d stop there and go hunting. :thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom