NICS Background Check "Delay"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr10mm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, not flaming you, but I believe this is nothing more than urban legend. The FBI doesn't do military security clearance background checks, the Defense Security Service does. And I've never seen anything from a reputable source that indicates there has ever been an established link between military security clearances and NICS delays. I think it's more of a case of people needing to find a 'cool' reason for their coincidental delay.

A guy who once upon a time held a clearance and worked on the most common jet in our inventory getting delayed is coincidence, not proof of a connection.

I've held a Top Secret security clearance (to include Yankee White Presidential access and other special access programs) for a couple decades, applied for/received a SDA permit, been investigated and hired for a State law enforcement job etc...and never once experienced a NICS delay. Does that disprove the alleged connection between NICS and .mil clearances? No. But it sure makes it less likely and increases/shifts the burden of proof.

I do not know if you are right or wrong about the ncis delays but I do know the FBI is the one that interviews you if they have questions about your sf-86.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not know if you are right or wrong about the ncis delays but I do know the FBI is the one that interviews you if they have questions about your sf-86.

Not if you are getting a routine Secret/Top Secret DoD clearance....it is done by the DSS and/or OPM, whoever is in charge these days. Often it is actually a civilian contractor for the OPM/DSS. Other agencies use the SF-86 and other agencies conduct those background checks, like the FBI. The FBI does get involved in some military investigations, like Presidential Access programs, but not your average military clearance.

The context of the post you are quoting me from is me speaking to the urban legend, that often comes from GIs or ex-GIs, that their clearance, even their basic dime-a-dozen-entrance Secret, is what is causing the delay.

I submit that it's not the reason for Private Snuffy's or Airman Joey-bag-o-donuts' delay, and there is no connection between National Security Clearances, issued by any authorized agency, and the NCIC.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
haha just reading up on this. I do have an active security clearance, I was interviewed by the FBI, I am about 90% delayed. I considered the PIN, unfortunately I am not sure what downside there is.

Lilfairy76

New to the site!
Reaction score
Okay I have a question...I purchased a gun from acedemy a cpl of months ago with no problem. Well due to economic hard times I had to pawn my guns, when I went to go get them out today I was told I was delayed.I am not understanding why ...Can anyone help with this issue/question??

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay I have a question...I purchased a gun from acedemy a cpl of months ago with no problem. Well due to economic hard times I had to pawn my guns, when I went to go get them out today I was told I was delayed.I am not understanding why ...Can anyone help with this issue/question??

These days it could just be due to the sheer volume of calls into the system...they are slammed.

SoonerStatePawn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These days it could just be due to the sheer volume of calls into the system...they are slammed.

The NICS center will normally transfer calls to customer service for "Further Review". Due to how busy they are, they are not transferring calls at this time. They go to immediate Delay Status, at least they were a week or so ago. We started doing the echecks since the wait time calling in gun forms was taking upwards of an hour.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For another example:

I get Delayed EVERY time. I have No security clearances and NO history of issues with the law. I have guessed that either:

A) I have a similar name to someone with a felony

B) I have an "Alias" because I changed my name (From Birth surname to Father's name that raised me) I was not legally adopted, I just used a court to change my last name when I was 17.

I keep meaning to get the UPIN, but I never seem to do it - I just sit around and wait.

Latest posts

Top Bottom