Nikon p-223 scope for ar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy2000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have been researchIng on buying a Nikon p-223 scope. I have an ar m4 style with 16 inch barrel.

Here are the two models I have been looking

3x32 Carbine model
http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-p-223-3x32-bdc-carbine-rifle-scope.html

And the 3-9x40

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-p-223-3-9x40-bdc-600-rifle-scope.html

The fixed 3x32 is 8 inches in length while the 3-9x40 is bit over a 12 inches in length.

I like the idea of having 3-9 magnification but 12 inches of scope on carbine seems like it would be too much.

Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
have you looked through one yet? I havent looked through those but did look through a Nikon M223 the 1-4 model today and wasn't impressed with the clarity of the glass. I guess the charge more for the BDC because the 1-4 bushnell xlt from academy that I put on my wifes seems much clearer for less money.

engineer40

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have also been looking for a scope for my M4, I looked at the p-223 as well, but was not impressed by the reviews. I have been looking at the Leopold Mark AR series. I haven't read any bad reviews on these scopes. I would rather spend a little more and get something I trust, than save a buck and not be satisfied with my investment.

Cowboy2000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's a nice looking Colt! To answer the question, no, I have never looked through a P-223. I have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x50 on a Savage 308 that I like a lot, so that's where I got the thought of the P-223. I may go by an Academy or Bass Pro today and look through a P-223 if they got one. I'm starting to lean toward the 3-9 scope like on the Colt above.

Roarak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A low power variable that gets great reviews with good glass and affordable price is the Weaver Classic 1-3x, it is small and light and super clear. Can be found for around 200 bucks which is great for Japanese glass.

bman940

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you answered your question on which P-223 you would want. If you think you'll need more magnification go with the 3-9. It is currently being offereed with a rebate under
Nikon's BDC Promotion.
As for reviews, I have only seen rave review's on this scope. I have not been shown or told anything negative about the P-223 Series Scopes. They have done so well they can be hard to find
with most retailers selling out as soon as they get inventory. They are built ont he PROSTAFF platform so the price is right as well. Check out the P-Series AR Mounts too.
Here's what one guy said about his P-223 3-9 BDC 600

Curley Red

I love my P-223 3x9 scope and the ballistic program for it by Nikon is awesome. Glass is crystal clear to me.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a prostaff on a .270 WIN and had it out several times. Never missed a beat even on a high recoil round like the .270 WIN in a bolt gun platform. I'd buy Nikon again without reservation if it had the features I was looking for. I am also considering their 3-9 223 scope for a varmint AR build.

Cowboy2000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Update on this subject: I went down at lunch to the Academy on Walker and 240. They had both of P-223 models, the 3x32 and the 3-9x40. The 3x32 looks better sitting on the M4 but the magnification of the 3-9 makes a big difference to me. I dont care what the rig looks like and I am not concerned about the tactical use of my rifle. I'm not jumping out of helicopters or raiding anybody's house in a SWAT team. I basically going to be sitting at the range and plinking at stuff 100-200 yeards away. For that purpose, the 3-9x40 is worth the extra weight/length and 50$. Both Nikon models have excellent eye relief. I can see out of both scopes easy. Both Nikon scopes produce a clear picture at a price that doesn't blow the budget. I'm going to get the 3-9x40. Nikon has a 30$ rebate offer going until Oct 6. Thanks for all the tips.

Latest posts

Top Bottom