No Flat Bicycle Tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the goo does work on sidewalls to a degree. A large cut and you're SOL regardless.

They make good, heavy tires for puncture resistance. If you're really worried, i'm sure they make really heavy duty tires that are probably almost solid.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple of different things: Mr. Tuffy tire liners, or something equal to it, are thick pieces of poly-something-or-the-other that go between the tire and the tube. They are placed inside the tire and are made of a material that is quite puncture resistant. Combine these with puncture resistant tubes (which are double thick on the bottom) and some sort of liquid sealant like Slime or Stan's and you have about as a puncture-proof set-up as can be found. If you don't want Mr. Tuffy's, take a pair of tires the same size as the ones you are using on the cart and cut the wire bead off of them (use a sharp knife and cut all the way around the sidewall of the tire, just above the bead). This leaves you with another sort of a tire liner--simply insert the cut-away tire inside the original tire so that it acts as a barrier between the tire tread and the tube. As to those gimmicky solid tubes, be advised that it takes two men and a boy to install them, IF you can keep from bending the rim while doing so.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would you consider changing wheels? Northern Tool has some great solid-tire wheels. I put a pair of them on my welding cart when the cheap-ass Chicom pneumatic tires blew up and destroyed not just the tires, but the entire wheels.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I remember seeing the solid tires at WM a few years back, but I couldn't find them there recently.
Maybe they are available at WM.com?

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't believe they don't make the solid tubes anymore. I was a kid around the same time as the OP, living out on a acreage near the Cimarron with lots of sand burrs, and remember when we discovered those. We put the on my mountain bike and my sister's, and no more flats. I don't remember them riding much different than regular tires. I do remember them being a royal PITA to put on for my Dad and I though. I always figured if I ever started riding a bike again I would definitely use those. Too bad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom