Noob question about body armor.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSteph

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm am trying to pursue a career in law enforcement and I am trying to read up on the possible vests I might wear. My questions are how to read the stats the different vests, do I need to get inserts or does the vest provide enough protection, and what are some of my fellow posters wearing and why? Thanks again!!!

MSteph

Tin Star Firearms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wear a trauma plate in the front pouch but otherwise rely on the panels. The most important thing is the correct cut and fit or you will be tempted not to wear it.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wear a trauma plate in the front pouch but otherwise rely on the panels. The most important thing is the correct cut and fit or you will be tempted not to wear it.

very correct..but no amount of proper fitting has ever made mine comfortable to wear. There are several good brands out there if your looking for a vest..I wear a second chance with a trauma plate in the front.

rw1341

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been wearing them for 26+ years. You've got good advise above. Make sure it fits! Doesn't do you a bit of good in the trunk. I have two plates in the front. One that came with the present vest and one from the one it replaced. They are hot & heavy at times but you owe it to yourself & your loved ones to stay in it. I've had several friends saved by these after being shot as well as several "saves" in car crashes. An impact to the chest doesn't always have to be a bullet!
Good luck & stay safe!

jimeradams

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i see these listed form 150 on up can a bullet proof vest really be this inexpensive?

With "bullet resistant" vests, it usually comes down to you get what you pay for! Some of the newer blends of Kevlar and other fabrics can be extremely lightweight and even comfortable, but they will cost more. Usually way, way more!

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've been wearing them for 26+ years. You've got good advise above. Make sure it fits! Doesn't do you a bit of good in the trunk. I have two plates in the front. One that came with the present vest and one from the one it replaced. They are hot & heavy at times but you owe it to yourself & your loved ones to stay in it. I've had several friends saved by these after being shot as well as several "saves" in car crashes. An impact to the chest doesn't always have to be a bullet!
Good luck & stay safe!

During my time as an LEO, I saw more saves from car crashes than shootings!!

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Agree with the above posts. Have two, one regular vest for usual duty and another very heavy, very hot, and uncomfortable (safe) vest for search warrants and such.

My SO only issued level II, so I went out an purchased my own level III which I still have. I also have my vest with level IV plates from Iraq.

Latest posts

Top Bottom