Noodling / Hand Fishing = Strictly hands only

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know the law hasnt changed but By that way of thinking gloves would be illegal as well. As a matter of fact if I'm wearing shorts or shoes or heck any clothing at all I'm illegal. If I drive my boat to my holes now my boat is aiding isn't it. If I stick my bare hand in the hole and the fish grabs my arm or I run my hand out his gills than I am illegal cause I had him on my arm and not my "hand." How about that stupid HillBilly HandFishing show where they stick their leg in the hole, the fish are caught with feet not hands so it would be in violation of "hands only" now wouldn't it.
The list can go on and on....

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"the way I see it" doesn't give you a pass. the law reads as follows: Noodling: the taking of fish by use of hands only. Title 800 10-3-5 (e) Possession of hooks, gaffs, spears, poles with hooks attached and/or ropes with hooks attached while in the act of noodling, shall be proof of violation of the "hands only" law.
It means: if you have any of the above items in your possession while in the act of noodling that is prima facie evidence of the violation. If you have a "feel stick" and you are caught using it, it is then a violation of "hands only".
Nothing about this law has changed. The enforcement directive has changed from being liberal on the use of "feel sticks" to strictly hands only.

The fact that the law says "poles with hooks attached" would specifically indicate that poles without hooks attached are legal. Otherwise the law would have said simply poles or it would have said poles with or without hooks attached.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The fact that the law says "poles with hooks attached" would specifically indicate that poles without hooks attached are legal. Otherwise the law would have said simply poles or it would have said poles with or without hooks attached.

you are INcorrect. The law is staing that those items in your possession is evidence of the violation. Meaning you dont have to be using them to be in violation of the law. A pole WITHOUT a hook attached would need to be used while noodling to be in violation of "hands only"

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know the law hasnt changed but By that way of thinking gloves would be illegal as well. As a matter of fact if I'm wearing shorts or shoes or heck any clothing at all I'm illegal. If I drive my boat to my holes now my boat is aiding isn't it. If I stick my bare hand in the hole and the fish grabs my arm or I run my hand out his gills than I am illegal cause I had him on my arm and not my "hand." How about that stupid HillBilly HandFishing show where they stick their leg in the hole, the fish are caught with feet not hands so it would be in violation of "hands only" now wouldn't it.
The list can go on and on....

typical comeback...

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Serious question Jared;

Is this new directive of enforcement based on the idea the "tv noodlers" will cause a big influx of noodlers and as a result a big hit to large flat head populations?

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Serious question Jared;

Is this new directive of enforcement based on the idea the "tv noodlers" will cause a big influx of noodlers and as a result a big hit to large flat head populations?

"tv noodlers" have apparently (i dont watch the shows) shown some questionable tools. I have already had some negative feedback to me from individuals I have contacted using the infamous forked/hooked-branch/stick, that said they seen the guys on tv use it. And of course since its on tv it must be legal. There has been mention of an influx of noodlers being created, and I believe the enforcement is to curb the unlawful methods before it becomes out of hand. I have not heard anything about a threat to the resource being a reason for the stricter enforcement.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
typical comeback...

Typical yes but that doesn't mean it's not true.
The "hands only" is so vague and grey it can't be used or enforced the way you seem to think. This isn't just my opinion but also like I stated before GWs as well. Not only when we talked about it did they Not write us tickets but also said they couldn't because there isn't really a law against it. What DocJJ said is pretty much true to what the GWs have told us in the past.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"tv noodlers" have apparently (i dont watch the shows) shown some questionable tools. I have already had some negative feedback to me from individuals I have contacted using the infamous forked/hooked-branch/stick, that said they seen the guys on tv use it. And of course since its on tv it must be legal. There has been mention of an influx of noodlers being created, and I believe the enforcement is to curb the unlawful methods before it becomes out of hand. I have not heard anything about a threat to the resource being a reason for the stricter enforcement.

That's the same thing I heard
The guy wasn't technically using a hook (which a lot of the guys on that show are) just a stick which he carved the end to be hook like. I would believe that falls on the other side of "good judgement" in which we were told when using sticks.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Typical yes but that doesn't mean it's not true.
The "hands only" is so vague and grey it can't be used or enforced the way you seem to think. This isn't just my opinion but also like I stated before GWs as well. Not only when we talked about it did they Not write us tickets but also said they couldn't because there isn't really a law against it. What DocJJ said is pretty much true to what the GWs have told us in the past.

Again- Title 29 and title 800 define noodling as: "the TAKING of fish by use of hands only. That means how you take the fish, not how you got there, what you are wearing, or what hair doo you have. It means what you use to take the fish. I dont see how "hands only" being the law can be argued as vague or grey. What can be argued as vague or grey is what has been allowed in the past, not what is state law.

Latest posts

Top Bottom