Nosler ballistic tip fail - TWICE!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shot a buck opening morning.
150gn Nosler ballistic tip .308, 44gn Varget

First shot behind the shoulder on the move from 125 yards. The deer stops and looks at me, I start counting 1, 2, 3, 4 ... still just standing there. I load second round.

Second shot right under the chin - drops dead.

First round went through - dime size in, dime size out, lungs not collapsed (came out whole), barely any bleeding or shock damage.
i47.tinypic.com_dd0so8.jpg

Second round went dime in - dime out, even though it went through the spine!!

I would take more pictures - but there was really nothing to show ... just neat little hole.

I've done both shots with A-Max, Interbond, SST, PPU softnose - the damage was MAGNITUDE greater; neck shots basically decapitate, and lung shots turn boiler into soup.

If someone showed me the damage - I would say it was 22WMR. Very disappointed.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, that was nearly my exact experience yesterday with the Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting. 168g .308 44gn Varget.

Even though he was lung shot, he didn't act at all like he was shot until 100 yds later when he plowed into the timber. Not a drop of blood could be found.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is interesting. Maybe a call into Nosler? Maybe their recent lots were faulty? I was of the opinion that BT bullets were supposed to experience violent rapid expansion. Like Hornady's SST.

aa5b

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used the ballistic tip 130gr .270, for the past two seasons. Last year I shot a buck directly behind the shoulder and he dropped immediately. While there was no exit wound, it looked as if a bomb had gone off inside the chest cavity. This year I had a spine shot from a downward angle and again no exit wound. Both kills were very quick and stopped the deer very quickly. But these are only my personal observations and I have read mixed reviews on the ballistic tip.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've personally had excellent results from using Nosler Ballistic tips. Shot antelope with my .284 shooting 120gr last month and had 4-6" exit holes hit rib cage on one and front shoulder on the other.

It seems these bullets are very specific on the velocity upon impact if they work properly.

The first deer I ever shot was using this same setup, and the **** went in between two ribs and out between two ribs cutting a lung in half and she was DRT. That was the only time I have not had a big exit wound or tons of blood.

daniel1daniel2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It must be some faulty bullets I have used them for several years with devastating results but have not bought any for 2 years most of the time I get a min of a 3 in exit wound the horniday SST comes apart to fast in my opinion and sheds to much last one I shot with one of them no exit worth mentioning and lead from the neck to the back hip

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kinda odd. What color is the tip? 44Gr. shows to be a starting load. Maybe not fast enough in your gun to get good expansion?

Latest posts

Top Bottom