Not Boasting....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well how did you do???
Or still out .

I got one big doe with CVA Bobcat and 295gr powerbelt hollow point with a homemade lead insert in the hollow point.(this keeps the bullet from fragmenting and allows better expansion or mushrooming)
90gr pyrodex rs 80 yards.. in the front of the shoulder and went through and split the heart and busted a 1.5"x1" section from the first rib on the other side and the hide stopped the bullet exit.

295expanded 001.jpg295expanded 002.jpg
She fell right over and never moved

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well how did you do???
Or still out .

I got one big doe with CVA Bobcat and 295gr powerbelt hollow point with a homemade lead insert in the hollow point.(this keeps the bullet from fragmenting and allows better expansion or mushrooming)
90gr pyrodex rs 80 yards.. in the front of the shoulder and went through and split the heart and busted a 1.5"x1" section from the first rib on the other side and the hide stopped the bullet exit.

View attachment 43089View attachment 43090
She fell right over and never moved

Nice nice. That mushroomed out good.

Had a shot at lil 3 or 4 pt. Clack, flash....no bang. Was my fault tho. Had it loaded all weekend and only replaced priming charge. I'll get after em again tuesday.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BS MAN!!! had it loaded all weekend.
You do not want to know how long that charge was loaded in my side lock.

Since last year.. and i had shot 2 rounds through it and loaded it.. the swabbed it before i put it in the closet.
and swabbed it before i went out.. swabbed with windex and paper towels and finished swab with rem oil on paper towel.

Then a couple dry paper towels to finish it.
fresh #11 cap...No hang fire.. just boom.
Good thing as she was staring at me and tail straight up and stiff.

I can see a flintlock giving you issues like you had.
I have fired pistols that were #11 cap revolver that were loaded for over 12 years and every one went off like you just loaded it.

Man bad luck..hate that you had it.
I will send some knock on wood and crossed fingers your way!!!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CVA bobcat rifle with 1:48 twist 295gr powerbelt HP copper with 90gr pyrodex RS and #11 cap of your choice.
Every deer hit with that, with or without the insert in the hollow point, just does a fall or roll over and one actually got picked up off it's feet and pounded onto the ground like a body slam.

Makes you respect the 50cal and heavy quick expanding rounds.
Heading to Lexington WMA next week during the week for a few quick outings.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
BS MAN!!! had it loaded all weekend.
You do not want to know how long that charge was loaded in my side lock.

Since last year.. and i had shot 2 rounds through it and loaded it.. the swabbed it before i put it in the closet.
and swabbed it before i went out.. swabbed with windex and paper towels and finished swab with rem oil on paper towel.

Then a couple dry paper towels to finish it.
fresh #11 cap...No hang fire.. just boom.
Good thing as she was staring at me and tail straight up and stiff.

I can see a flintlock giving you issues like you had.
I have fired pistols that were #11 cap revolver that were loaded for over 12 years and every one went off like you just loaded it.

Man bad luck..hate that you had it.
I will send some knock on wood and crossed fingers your way!!!

Yep yep. This flinter stuff is a whole new learning curve. After messing with it more today I'm thinking my flint wasn't adjusted right in jaws. I had changed the flint and this particular flint didn't seem to spark as good as last one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom