NWCO Permit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It isn't if you are selling hides, but if you are trapping commercially as a nuisance control operator. Talked to a couple of wardens about it today and got some info. My local warden couldn't write me a permit to snare, but could give a night permit. Stupid coyote was standing in the lot again when I got in from hunting this eve, taunting me.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Your scent is all over the place and doesn't appear to be wary of it/you. Put some steel in the ground and catch him. A flat set for you since you're in rainy country.
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_pipedreamset_zpse0c7015e.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, good old dirt hole set with a backer to guide the dog in.

My sets use a lot more backer than the illustration, but I'm betting that everybody else does too.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
This one is made for wet conditions, I've not tried it but am going to. The trap is only covered with a screen and grass clippings, has a place under it to collect water and not freeze up your jaws. Lure lasts longer in the plastic pipe as well they say. My best set for coyotes was using a flat set in front of a burnt log end. Or a step down dirt hole set(not rain friendly whatsoever). Bobcats are so much easier to catch.........:)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Coyote sense of smell ruins a lot of sets if human smell is not normal. I use the landscape cloth over the top with peat moss screened over that. Little slit for the pan trip lever to get through.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
That set I posted is to be freeze and rain "proof". There's no dirt involved when blending back in. Screen and grass clippings only. Once the hole is dug, and the edges are pounded firm, only the ears come in contact with any soil. Should it rain, it will travel through the grass, through the screen and not make mud of your coverage. Aluminum screen material is used (won't freeze of course), make sure to cut a slot for the dog, unless you use a dogless trap of course. :)

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love hearing y'all talk about trapping, I've got a whole bucket full of traps, but don't think I have ever caught much in them other than a stray dog that was chasin cattle. I've got lots to learn.

Got out this morning at first light and threw my call out by the hay barn and climbed in the grain bin. Hit the call and in less than 10 seconds that mangy dog popped around from the side of the hay barn. He stood behind a tree looking at the call and I didn't have a shot. Then he decided to take a dump and his head popped out from behind the tree and I took a cheap shot at his head. Quite certain that I made contact with his ear, but essentially missed. I'm kicking myself for not waiting for a better shot. Now I think I know where he has taken up residence, there is a big brush pile in a gully behind the hay barn, every time I have seen him he has either came from there or going there. May have to light it on fire and sit on the rim with a shotgun and wait for him so I can send him to hell.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love hearing y'all talk about trapping, I've got a whole bucket full of traps, but don't think I have ever caught much in them other than a stray dog that was chasin cattle. I've got lots to learn.

Got out this morning at first light and threw my call out by the hay barn and climbed in the grain bin. Hit the call and in less than 10 seconds that mangy dog popped around from the side of the hay barn. He stood behind a tree looking at the call and I didn't have a shot. Then he decided to take a dump and his head popped out from behind the tree and I took a cheap shot at his head. Quite certain that I made contact with his ear, but essentially missed. I'm kicking myself for not waiting for a better shot. Now I think I know where he has taken up residence, there is a big brush pile in a gully behind the hay barn, every time I have seen him he has either came from there or going there. May have to light it on fire and sit on the rim with a shotgun and wait for him so I can send him to hell.

My birthday is Tuesday and I like bonfires and beer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom