Nylon Jacketed Ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerCowboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago Bob Howard told me that nyclads were originally made for lower velocity ammo. The nylon would allow the bullet to mushroom more easily. He recommended nyclads for a 38 snubbie I had.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the case is aluminum It can't be reloaded so that is also a draw back. Someone told me about aluminum cases blazer ammo. I was thinking it would be really cheaper and no go. it was maybe a buck cheaper at the time.

If its boxer primed it can be reloaded, just not recommended. I use it all the time as match brass that I'm not concerned about losing.

I still have 100 rounds of the original Federal Nyclad. When it was first put out, they said it was supposed to shoot cleaner with better expansion because of the lack of a metal jacket. I carried it for awhile but never used it or tested it to see if it was true.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nyclad ammo has been around since the 70's when invented and first produced by the guys at Bangor Punta corp (S&W)
the two main purposes were reducing lead fouling in guns and lowering lead dust in indoor ranges.

I'm surprised at some of you guys that think aluminum cased blazer ammo is something new. Its been out for about 40 years.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nyclad ammo has been around since the 70's when invented and first produced by the guys at Bangor Punta corp (S&W)
the two main purposes were reducing lead fouling in guns and lowering lead dust in indoor ranges.

I'm surprised at some of you guys that think aluminum cased blazer ammo is something new. Its been out for about 40 years.

Who said it was new? I just didn't know anything about it.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If its boxer primed it can be reloaded, just not recommended.
I've heard that, as well, but Blazer, unless they've changed recently, are Berdan-primed (not to mention stamped "NR"). Supposedly, there are hydraulic de-primers for reloading Berdan stuff, but the Berdan primers themselves aren't readily available.

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago Bob Howard told me that nyclads were originally made for lower velocity ammo. The nylon would allow the bullet to mushroom more easily. He recommended nyclads for a 38 snubbie I had.

Not wanting to jump into any kind of frey, but have kept 38spl Nyclads in both my snubbies and my wifes model 19 for years (she is a little recoil shy due to early stages of arthritis).

I read a rather lengthly test on them years ago...I THINK it was by Chuck Taylor....and was quite impressed.

They have performed quite well for me for about 20 years, just use them for what they were meant for.

I prefer a load of 12 guage double noughts and aim for the brisket...its just a little hard to carry concealed :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom