Official 2015-2016 deer hunting season discussion thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shot a small doe just before dark but it ran off and into some thick stuff. Looked around for about an hour but couldn't find her. Temperature was about 48° at dark and should be down to 34° overnight. If I find her tomorrow morning will the meat still be good? I've never lost one before or had to leave it overnight

It will still be good in the morning. Get there early and see if you can find her. I've done that in the past, and the meat was still good.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats swrodd on the double nice pair of bucks ! That's a cool experience Dennis ! Only get to see stuff like that spending time in nature. It's amazing what animals do. Agb the meat should be fine. Get there early should be fine. I hate to leave one over night but sometimes you have too. Good luck on the recovery !

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Jeremy1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Frustrating opening weekend! Wind stifled movement yesterday, today was just.... Ehhh...... Saw what would be a decent 8 with entire left side broke off. Saw a few does yesterday...... I need a deer for sausage, jerky and stew meat, so I smoked this doe at about 4 today... Cool thing is I shot her with a 30-30..... My Dad bought me this rifle as a first deer gun when I was 12... Still shoots great and is one of my favorites!

image.jpg

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dennis Congrats on the big ole fat doe. I have only seen what you described on a live doe once. Jeremy congrats to you also on the doe and for shots 150 yds or less there is nothing I would rather have in my hands then a good scoped marlin 30/30

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats to those of you who have connected! Dennis, that must've been good for a laugh and kept you on your toes wondering what'd happen next.

I sat until 10:15 yesterday and saw zero deer. I suspect other hunters have boogered the deer up and pushed them out of the area. I did have a coyote working in at 8:30. I stood, turned and started to draw as he approached at 40 yards. That's when I found out how cold it was. My muscles refused to draw my bow. I have it set at 63lbs so that I have zero issues pulling straight back with minimal movement, but yesterday, it was just frigid. I forced the bow into full draw, but in doing so, the dog spotted me and kicked out to 40 yards. I tried squeaking at him, but he didn't like it at all. I suppose he's had that experience before.

Latest posts

Top Bottom