Oil change intervals.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I visit a camshaft shop often and all the failed cam and lifters from gas and diesel vehicles that come in there many with under 70,000 miles.
Cam lobes and journals ate up.
Carbon or crud thick between the lobes.
8 to 10,000 mile oil changes.
I have not had just one car go over 350,000 miles I have had many and no oil related issues.
3000 miles or sooner for me.
And I am NOT EASY on my vehicles.

I have never owned a diesel.
I am picky on what oils I run.
I am picky on what engines I will own also.
Had a ford 150 that exploded due to cam sensor failure. Don’t know how well it was taken care of before I got it.
Never had the lifter and cam problem with my Silverado that both my brothers and my buddy had with theirs. My dad neither.
Your buddy is probably making a decent living with those pushing the limits.
On my GTO and Firebird both have Rotella in them with the zinc.

Pennyless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Way back when I worked for a living we had an immigrant who bought a new Camaro. Never changed the oil until it had like 180,000 miles on it and that was because he didn’t know better until we told him.
Insane. I had an acquaintance in high school who's mommy bought him a new Dodge Dakota in high school. Didn't have it one day so I asked where it was. Turns out it was in the shop because it wasn't running right. He hadn't change the oil ONCE in 70,000 miles. Came out like sludge, saw the pictures. Some people man.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn’t really want a debate, but if you want to roll 15,000- 20,000 on the same filter. You do you. I was just curious.
I know what the car companies say, but they are in the business to sell cars.

FWIW, those 15-20 OCIs usually recommend you change the filter @ 10K provided you use a quality filter.

If anyone wants to get into the minutia of Oils and engines, head on over to Bobistheoilguy forums. They have used oil analysis for all sorts of oils and engines. They definitely put the old school thought to bed. Which ironically the 3,000 OCI was set my car manufacturers back in the day. Why would they tell you longer now?

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, those 15-20 OCIs usually recommend you change the filter @ 10K provided you use a quality filter.

If anyone wants to get into the minutia of Oils and engines, head on over to Bobistheoilguy forums. They have used oil analysis for all sorts of oils and engines. They definitely put the old school thought to bed. Which ironically the 3,000 OCI was set my car manufacturers back in the day. Why would they tell you longer now?
I’ve looked at that forum. Bunch of average Joes. If those guys at Bob’s your uncle want to run 15k, do it.
Why wouldn’t the manufacturers? They aren’t in the business to sell used cars with cam failures.
Dusty roads, short trips, stop and go traffic all come into play.
The oil companies like to market their gig also. Pay 3 times as much knowing the tight wads will push it until the light comes on regardless of oil type.
Run a filter for 10k-15k lol.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve looked at that forum. Bunch of average Joes.

And what are you lol? I know you think your grandpappy's advice is gospel, but things have changed to say the least. Like it or not, those boys geek out about oil and engines and relay quite a bit more than you have.

The oil companies like to market their gig also. Pay 3 times as much knowing the tight wads will push it until the light comes on regardless of oil type.

You're not even making sense. If anything oil companies like people like you. You buy oil at 2-3 times the rate that some others would. It's not necessarily being tight, it's just being smart. Then again, people who use dino oil probably should change their oil more frequently. Dino oils are significantly inferior compared to synthetics, but at 2-3K miles, you're probably not gonna notice in most engines.

Run a filter for 10k-15k lol.

Well.... I said 10k but you're seemingly emotionally tied to advice that doesn't apply to newer technology.
Funny thing is, you say your oil looks new when you change it. Dirt roads and all. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom