Recommendations for a car restore?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone here have a recommendation for someone to look over a car and give an estimate on a restore? A relative on my wife's side is getting this 1953 Chrysler New Yorker given to him - was his grandfather's but been sitting in the garage for over 20 years. I haven't seen it but told him I would help drive to CO and retrieve it if he's interested in getting it going. Know nothing about the engine(seeing 6 quarts of oil on the back floorboard doesn't bode well except maybe owner was going to change oil before parking it?) or tranny or any possible damage other than what's in these 3 pics. I understand there are many levels of "restore" but first thought is to just get as much original replaced/working as possible. Dents all out. Trim replaced(if necessary). Repair upholstery(if possible) - really like the plaid! Not planning a hopped up engine. In-law may keep and drive or he might restore then sell.

My hopes are that at least it rolls when put in neutral so can get loaded onto a trailer for the drive back here.

Once I get a car hauler trailer, I'll start figuring out what all I should take to hopefully cover most unforeseen situations.
Car 1.jpg
car 2.jpg
Car 3.jpg

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Chief. I was planning to just pull a trailer and load it up then pull it back to OK. Good idea to at least inspect the vehicle in person before driving all that way only to find out something ain't right. Also have to see how much the relative is planning to spend and whether or not keeping it or flipping it. If keeping it, I'll toss in my time to help for a few drives around town. If flipping it, I'll charge for my time and still want to drive it around town a couple of times!

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just started restoring a 1962 Jaguar MkII sedan. It is one of the most iconic Jaguars made. It was in storage for the last twenty years and was running when parked. I was hoping on rebuilding the carbs, maybe replacing the gas tank ($760), rebuilding the hydraulics (brakes, clutch), a battery, and changing all the fluids. I have the motor out on a stand right now. These projects just about always double in cost. The one thing in my favor is the car averages selling for $30K and I bought it for much less. I really don't plan on selling it because it is just too damn classy.
1st day home, 6-11-22 (4).JPG

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just started restoring a 1962 Jaguar MkII sedan. It is one of the most iconic Jaguars made. It was in storage for the last twenty years and was running when parked. I was hoping on rebuilding the carbs, maybe replacing the gas tank ($760), rebuilding the hydraulics (brakes, clutch), a battery, and changing all the fluids. I have the motor out on a stand right now. These projects just about always double in cost. The one thing in my favor is the car averages selling for $30K and I bought it for much less. I really don't plan on selling it because it is just too damn classy. View attachment 305804
DAMN! That looks great! I realize it'll take a LOT to get the New Yorker into this kind of condition but I don't have the knowledge or time really to take to one place and work on the engine then another place for tranny then a place for brakes etc... Have a buddy who could likely do most of the mechanical work but cost may be prohibitive. Then, getting body work and trim is another place.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your biggest concern will be missing parts. Even minor pieces can be unobtanium and $$$$$$$$.

My buddy bought a '68 Boss, all there EXCEPT the ashtray.i was beyond astounded, when he found an ashtray, at a Mustang show. Guy was asking $500 and wouldn't budge.

$500, it was

Would be a cool , old, land yacht to restore, though. Just takes time, persistence and $$$$$$

Latest posts

Top Bottom