Oil change intervals.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to hijack the other thread. I just run Dino oil. Change it about every 3500 miles. Closing in on 200k. Uses about a 1/6 of a quart by the time to change. Oil still looks new. I know oil has changed since I was 16. I’m 52 now. My grandpa would probably crawl out the grave and slap me If he knew I went past 3000. He was a machinist and engine builder.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to hijack the other thread. I just run Dino oil. Change it about every 3500 miles. Closing in on 200k. Uses about a 1/6 of a quart by the time to change. Oil still looks new. I know oil has changed since I was 16. I’m 52 now. My grandpa would probably crawl out the grave and slap me If he knew I went past 3000. He was a machinist and engine builder.
If it still looks new at 3K miles, why change it?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I run Amsoil on extended intervals. Been doing that for over 20 years now, but even running an API certified dino will go 5k to 6k in an engine that’s in good condition and in tune. Oil and engines both are a lot different than back in the every 3000 mile days.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run Amsoil on extended intervals. Been doing that for over 20 years now, but even running an API certified dino will go 5k to 6k in an engine that’s in good condition and in tune. Oil and engines both are a lot different than back in the every 3000 mile days.
I do a lot of stop and go in traffic, may take short trips and drive down dusty roads. It’s my work vehicle.

Uncle Meat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might send a sample to Blackstone for analysis.
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/tests/standard-analysis/
You'd be surprised what they have to say about your wear metals and oil life.
Chances are that you're changing way too early and throwing money away.
However I'm guilty of the same (4000mi) but I've done that since 1975 and will keep doing it.
Every report I get from Blackstone shows that there's lots of life left in my oil and I should go further.
Modern oils are quite capable of lasting longer than what we think.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do a lot of stop and go in traffic, may take short trips and drive down dusty roads. It’s my work vehicle.
FWIW, Amsoil Signature Series (their best) is rated for 25,000 miles in normal service (which is basically all highway and virtually nobody is in that service category), or 15,000 miles in severe service which includes short trips, stop and go, etc. and also turbos.

I wouldn't think twice about running Pennzoil Platinum to 6k miles and I'd take PP Ultra to 10k and sleep well. The new API service classifications have durability factored in now, that's somewhat recent, as in the last few years. It used to be oils only had to pass all the tests when it came out of the bottle. Not so anymore.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, Amsoil Signature Series (their best) is rated for 25,000 miles in normal service (which is basically all highway and virtually nobody is in that service category), or 15,000 miles in severe service which includes short trips, stop and go, etc. and also turbos.

I wouldn't think twice about running Pennzoil Platinum to 6k miles and I'd take PP Ultra to 10k and sleep well. The new API service classifications have durability factored in now, that's somewhat recent, as in the last few years. It used to be oils only had to pass all the tests when it came out of the bottle. Not so anymore.
I didn’t really want a debate, but if you want to roll 15,000- 20,000 on the same filter. You do you. I was just curious.
I know what the car companies say, but they are in the business to sell cars.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might send a sample to Blackstone for analysis.
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/tests/standard-analysis/
You'd be surprised what they have to say about your wear metals and oil life.
Chances are that you're changing way too early and throwing money away.
However I'm guilty of the same (4000mi) but I've done that since 1975 and will keep doing it.
Every report I get from Blackstone shows that there's lots of life left in my oil and I should go further.
Modern oils are quite capable of lasting longer than what we think.
Why wait until you see bearing or cam wear. It really doesn’t cost me much to have peace of mind like yourself. I get mine changed for 30 bucks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom