OK bear hunt is a stining money grab

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozark Tracker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the baiting is how they have the best luck over here, I baited up a barrel a couple of years, had tracks but I never did see a bear. a friend took one over the back of the hill from us, he just wanted the hide, so I took the meat to the butcher and had sausage made, it was really good. he used dog food and donuts for the bait

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm torn on the issue. I think it sucks you might buy a tag and never get a chance to use it. On the other had, I think it's a great way to fund bear research to make hunting them just that much better in the future.

If I lived in a part of the state with bears, I'd buy one. Of course I'd do so knowing that I might not get anything for my money, but that it's going to a good cause.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have much of a problem with it.

Now if they started messing with deer tags or something, I would be outraged. QUOTE]

Not ragging on you - but doesn't this kind of thinking go back to what hunters say about AR style rifles or machine guns. As long as they don't mess with what I use to hunt with I'm fine.

No offense, you probably didn't mean it that way - just the comparison came to mind.

A hunting license is a hunting license - should be all inclusive

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not ragging on you - but doesn't this kind of thinking go back to what hunters say about AR style rifles or machine guns. As long as they don't mess with what I use to hunt with I'm fine.

No offense, you probably didn't mean it that way - just the comparison came to mind.

A hunting license is a hunting license - should be all inclusive.

Bullboy, I think you got the wrong idea here. That is not how it is at all.

When I bought my lifetime license it had a SPECIFIC list of what I would be exempt from (General, deer, turkey etc.). I still have that list.

The reason I used deer tags as an example is the agreement I signed said I would specifally be exempt from them. Not so with bear tags.

A lifetime does not exempt you from a trapping license, trout stamp and several others. The bear season did not exist when I bought it, and it made no mention of being exempt from any future season.

They did not lie to me, they did not take away what was promised to me.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's weird that we have all kinds of people on here that make threads about supporting police officers, fireman, teachers etc., saying how they don't get paid enough and listing all they work they do for us and how expensive it is for them just to do their job.

If there was a proposed tax increase to fund more cops we would have a HUGE support of that from alot of people. After all, they need that money to do there jobs, it's expensive right?

But hardly anybody is supportive when the ODWC wants more money or resources, even though it is all entirely voluntary and they don't get any tax money.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ridgehunter I am with you 100% on this. I think its awesome that oklahoma is trying to improve the bear population. This isn't some kind of tax if you don't like it don't by one. Nothing is being forced on anyone. The ODWC does a great job for the most part. I can't wait to move back east and maybe get in on some of this bear hunting!!

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bullboy, I think you got the wrong idea here. That is not how it is at all.

When I bought my lifetime license it had a SPECIFIC list of what I would be exempt from (General, deer, turkey etc.). I still have that list.

The reason I used deer tags as an example is the agreement I signed said I would specifally be exempt from them. Not so with bear tags.

A lifetime does not exempt you from a trapping license, trout stamp and several others. The bear season did not exist when I bought it, and it made no mention of being exempt from any future season.

They did not lie to me, they did not take away what was promised to me.

Makes sense to me. Like I said - that is the way it had sounded to me. When you describe it - totally makes sense!

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's weird that we have all kinds of people on here that make threads about supporting police officers, fireman, teachers etc., saying how they don't get paid enough and listing all they work they do for us and how expensive it is for them just to do their job.

If there was a proposed tax increase to fund more cops we would have a HUGE support of that from alot of people. After all, they need that money to do there jobs, it's expensive right?

But hardly anybody is supportive when the ODWC wants more money or resources, even though it is all entirely voluntary and they don't get any tax money.

I'm all for wildlife and helping the bear population - but not quite the same thing as raising taxes to support public safety.

But, a pay to play (like the bear tag) is fair and sounds fine to me. I didn't know until you described it that the lifetime license listed the animals.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a beautiful cinnamon colored black bear in our game cameras thats been taunting me. I'm anxious to see what Oct. 23 says about me going on the Oct 24.

Latest posts

Top Bottom