OK bear hunt is a stining money grab

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a beautiful cinnamon colored black bear in our game cameras thats been taunting me. I'm anxious to see what Oct. 23 says about me going on the Oct 24.

Awesome. Mind posting a pic of him? I'd like to see it.

Good luck, I hope you get a shot at him.

What areas a bear in?

The season is in Latimer, Le Flore, McCurtain and Pushmataha counties. But there are a few bears North of of those counties, just not as many.

waynemorgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so if someone shoots # 21 and you call it in .then what ?how are we to know when all tags are filled ???

they will have to change it next year to sell only the tags for the # of bears they want to take >

(or do i just not get it ?) help

fltmedic

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to agree with Tramp1002 on that a $100 to hunt bear is pretty cheap. Also I have to agree with Ridgehunter about the ODWC they get no help other that what sportman fund them so whatyou have to give a $100 to fund research and a chance at a bear its not alot of cash when you look at a dinner and a date is way more than that ha ha lol.

Reaction score
My question is, how in the HECK is the communiction supposed to take place that warns all the hunters out there hunting when the magic number 20 is reached? Are you supposed to phone in from your cell phone: "OK, I'm about to take my shot - have we reached 20 yet, or is my license still good?"

Otherwise, there's gonna be 2 or 5 or 10 people showing up to check bears in the following days after the 20th one, saying, "well I was in the woods hunting with no tv, no phone, nothing, for 3 days - how was I supposed to know?".

I now see that someone else raised this issue above. It's the same principle as the Idaho wolf hunt this year - I foresee problems (unless there's something I don't understand - a "beeper" you have to take into the field with you, issued by the W.D., to notify you when to quit hunting?). Maybe they just *expect* a little "spillover" and therefore accounted for this - say the figured 25 was the *right* number, and then came down to 20 to account for the inevitable spillover. Or, they're just gonna ticket those 2 or 5 or 10 on a "tough noogies basis", which will be wrong, in my estimation, unless it's say, more than 2 days after the word first starts going around that 20 is reached - some finite # of days. Perhaps even 24 hours is fair, on the theory that every evening, you must go to town and find a phone or a signal for your phone, and find out what's going on.

Some friends of mine and I were about to go round & round with the W.D. when there were rumors that the lifetime license would not include the new legacy permit. Luckily it does. I'll have to research this issue of lope and bear tags, but hey if there was a specific list on the agreement that didn't include these, then fine, I'm ok with it being extra.

With respect to the lope tags and bear tags, sure, it's clear that the W.D. *is* indeed more interested in selling tags than controlling population, at least in the case of the lope tags in particular (they'd issue gun tags intead of archery tags if it was a genuine strong interest in quickly bringing down the population). But the truth is, (a) they are in fact interested in BOTH outcomes, and (b) why wouldn't they be interested in raising more money, given that their budget is totally self-sufficient and they get nothing from the state coffers?

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it's gonna be just like the system in Arkansas, which works just fine for them. Call the number, it will say season open or season closed. That is all you need to worry about. If there are 18 bears down that morning before that days hunt, and 3 are killed that day they are not going to throw the 21st guy under the jail, season was still open when he shot it. Season will be closed the next day.

Season closes the day 20 bear have been killed. Thats all there is to it.

Dr. Hussein, you are right that they are not interested in controlling the bear population right now. Don't really think the pop is out of hand right now. This season is not really about controlling the population, it is more of a research/experimental season. A lot of knowledge is going to be gained just by the age/sex/weight/location of the bears killed. Right now most of the studies they have done have been on public hunting land/forest land. This is going to give more insight on how many bears are living on private land etc.
I am very interested to see what happens.

Plus it is an opportunity for Okies to hunt a new animal, hunting seasons are not always about controlling the population.

Latest posts

Top Bottom