Oklahoma Governor's Poll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who will it be?

• Stitt

Votes: 171 91.0%
  • Joy

Votes: 17 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every teacher and coach I've spoken with in the last 20 years has complained about lack of parenting being the number one problem in schools today. That, coupled with the inability to enforce basic civilized behavior makes teaching extremely challenging.
I believe this is the main problem, for sure. And another reason I think it's stupid to just throw money at it. Money isn't the problem.

That said, the schools are making it really hard for the parent that wants to dig in on school work with a kid. No books. Assignments in math where they want problems solved by drawing butterflies, literally, rather than how we knew it. You might know multiplication, but do you know this proscribed method of multiplication? Get a look at it in the book? Nope.

However, I would hate to see just how bad things would be if these new and improved teaching methods hadn't been implemented. I mean, we're almost at the bottom now, can you imagine how bad it would be without the new way of learning? Scary.

jackary

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What administrative positions would you consolidate?
Most rural counties don’t need separate superintendents for each school district all making 6 figure salaries. A lot of counties with smaller districts could get by with one superintendent and maybe an assistant that cover all of the districts in that county.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe this is the main problem, for sure. And another reason I think it's stupid to just throw money at it. Money isn't the problem.

That said, the schools are making it really hard for the parent that wants to dig in on school work with a kid. No books. Assignments in math where they want problems solved by drawing butterflies, literally, rather than how we knew it. You might know multiplication, but do you know this proscribed method of multiplication? Get a look at it in the book? Nope.

However, I would hate to see just how bad things would be if these new and improved teaching methods hadn't been implemented. I mean, we're almost at the bottom now, can you imagine how bad it would be without the new way of learning? Scary.
My son gets incredibly frustrated when he asks for math help and my response is "I can show you how to solve that type of problem, but you need to do it the way your teacher requires on the tests". He typically prefers my method because patience isnt a strength he has developed yet and my method requires no drawing or micro steps to get an answer.

Luckily a former coworker of mine is a math teacher at his school and has found a solid method that works for him, so we have been leveraging her for tutoring when he is struggling.

It would be so much easier to go over things with him if we had text books he could bring home though. That part really chaps my ass when we get our property tax bill each year.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son gets incredibly frustrated when he asks for math help and my response is "I can show you how to solve that type of problem, but you need to do it the way your teacher requires on the tests". He typically prefers my method because patience isnt a strength he has developed yet and my method requires no drawing or micro steps to get an answer.

Luckily a former coworker of mine is a math teacher at his school and has found a solid method that works for him, so we have been leveraging her for tutoring when he is struggling.

It would be so much easier to go over things with him if we had text books he could bring home though. That part really chaps my ass when we get our property tax bill each year.
Yep. My granddaughter was having huge problems with math. My daughter couldn't figure it out either. She's no math wiz but she's a neonatal RN fixing to start on her BSN. She asked if I could help. I couldn't find any rhyme or reason for the way they were teaching this particular set of problems so I showed her a way to get it done. She did the work and the teacher rejected it and sent her back home with it to do all over. Her answers were mostly correct, I checked and she she graded 86% on that assignment with the way I told her to do it.

It's no wonder our kids are failing when parents can't help them because of some new progressive methodology. I'll never understand the need to re-engineer math and english.

My daughter pulled my granddaughter from school and sent her to Epic. She graduated a year early...

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. My granddaughter was having huge problems with math. My daughter couldn't figure it out either. She's no math wiz but she's a neonatal RN fixing to start on her BSN. She asked if I could help. I couldn't find any rhyme or reason for the way they were teaching this particular set of problems so I showed her a way to get it done. She did the work and the teacher rejected it and sent her back home with it to do all over. Her answers were mostly correct, I checked and she she graded 86% on that assignment with the way I told her to do it.

It's no wonder our kids are failing when parents can't help them because of some new progressive methodology. I'll never understand the need to re-engineer math and english.

My daughter pulled my granddaughter from school and sent her to Epic. She graduated a year early...
Haven't you heard? Math is rayceest n chit! 🤣🤣🤣

Latest posts

Top Bottom