Oklahoma Governor's Poll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who will it be?

• Stitt

Votes: 171 91.0%
  • Joy

Votes: 17 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And you know this because of your many years of experience as a parent and in education as well as knowing how all government employees work?

I'm sure the frustration of teachers has nothing to do with over crowded classrooms, horrible, disinterested parents and a huge lack of resources. They're only doing what the OEA tells them to do.

Holy **** man indeed.
Yeah, pretty much. I was a .gov employee for 17 yrs and have 3 kids and stay on top of school ****. Im pretty lucky to be in the Edmond school district. They arent too bad and I stay on top of what my kids are learning and correct when its needed.

I have been watching OK school politics since the HB1017 travesty.

The OEA is poison and NEVER is happy, they always push further left.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't spent a lot of time looking into the voucher thing, but basically doesn't it allow students/parents to use the school of their choice, including public schools?
If that's the case then what are public schools afraid of? They just need to get better so people will choose to go there.
That's the first I've heard of losing fed money.
I’m not 100%. I ‘think’ it takes fed $ from the district and gives it to families for charter school use?

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not 100%. I ‘think’ it takes fed $ from the district and gives it to families for charter school use?
That was always my understanding with their beef with vouchers. Parent can use the vouchers for non-public schools, so the public school would lose the body and the money attached to it.

My understanding is the voucher can be used anywhere, including the public schools. It is very telling to me that they fear vouchers so much. They seem very convinced that given the option to leave, a student will leave. Wonder why?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That was always my understanding with their beef with vouchers. Parent can use the vouchers for non-public schools, so the public school would lose the body and the money attached to it.

My understanding is the voucher can be used anywhere, including the public schools. It is very telling to me that they fear vouchers so much. They seem very convinced that given the option to leave, a student will leave. Wonder why?

Choice and freedom.

If the Republicans would make this more of a talking point, I think it'd go a long way towards winning voters that have traditionally voted D.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the same mentality of the usual union-bashers here.

I haven't bashed any unions.

Every teacher and coach I've spoken with in the last 20 years has complained about lack of parenting being the number one problem in schools today. That, coupled with the inability to enforce basic civilized behavior makes teaching extremely challenging.

Those definitely don't make things easier for sure. When my wife taught 1st grade she'd have to spend the first week or two of school going over basic manners and social interaction dos and don'ts with her kids. Half of them had no idea how to act with other kids.

I will add that most of the female teachers I've spoken with are pretty left leaning. I doubt that has anything to do with the union, and more to do with the natural inclinations associated with owning and operating a female reproductive system.

I don't doubt that a bunch of them are, but didn't that really depend on where they taught? Or at least where they taught influence some of their views?

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What administrative positions would you consolidate?

I would think that depending on the number of schools in a county that many rural school superintendent positions could be consolidated. Of course each would need a principal and maybe an assistant principal, but most of these HR moves would depend on school size.

How would you go about consolidation?

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, pretty much. I was a .gov employee for 17 yrs and have 3 kids and stay on top of school ****. Im pretty lucky to be in the Edmond school district. They arent too bad and I stay on top of what my kids are learning and correct when its needed.

I have been watching OK school politics since the HB1017 travesty.

The OEA is poison and NEVER is happy, they always push further left.

If you worked for the Feds for 17 years then I'd hope you'd figured out that in like every other place of work there are good and bad employees. I've got 27+ working for Uncle Sam and hoe-lee crap are there some horrible people running things.

Our girls graduated from Deer Creek. It's a huge mixture of views but thankfully they got a good, solid educational foundation that helped them excel in college. Our oldest graduated in 2020 from OSU with a microbiology degree and our youngest is due to graduate a year early from UCO next summer.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

This is also how I understand it. I'm sure some schools would get hit harder than others due to parents using the vouchers to move their kids. As to why public schools fear vouchers goes I'd imagine it has a lot to do with losing teachers as well as students. I don't think we can know how things will play out though.

I don't know that I care one way or the other about vouchers. Other than it possibly reducing classroom sizes and maybe actually making things more efficient for various grades in some schools.

Latest posts

Top Bottom