Oklahoma judge finds aspect of state execution law unconstitutional

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A judge ruled Wednesday the state must reveal where it gets its lethal injection drugs.

Two inmates scheduled for executions this month — Clayton Derrell Lockett, 38, and Charles Frederick Warner, 46 — sued the state to determine the source of the drugs.

Not allowing Lockett and Warner to know the source and quality of the drugs denied them the ability to decide whether or not their rights might be violated, Oklahoma County District Judge Patricia Parrish said.

It’s not clear whether the ruling could lead to delays for future executions.

Both men have argued their constitutional protections against cruel and unusual punishment would be violated if the drugs were unsafe, causing them pain during execution.

Attorneys representing the two men pointed to the January execution of Micheal Lee Wilson, who said “I can feel my whole body burning” just before he died.

The state amended protocol last week to include the use of additional lethal drugs, including a mixture that took about 25 minutes to kill an Ohio man in January.

“I do not think this is even a close call,” Parrish said. She said state law is so broad it bars the sharing of the source of the drugs in civil or criminal proceedings, keeping even her from asking for the source while considering her ruling.

“What good is their access to the courts if you can’t tell me the information,” Parrish said.

Assistant Attorney General John Hadden argued much of the concern over the drugs is speculation. He said the sources need to be kept secret to protect their safety. Hadden pointed to threats of violence made to compounding pharmacies by anti-death penalty activists.

“We’re talking about people who are willing to send in bomb threats to compounding pharmacies,” Hadden said.

Moments after the ruling, lawyers for the two inmates acknowledged an appeal to the state Supreme Court by the state was likely but said they were happy with Parrish’s decision.

“This case was all about transparency, having access to information,” said Susanna Gattoni, one of their attorneys. “And, so we’re very, very pleased that the district court ruled that people do have the right to know what the government’s doing. That’s essentially what she said today. They have to give us the information, and now they will.”

It is unclear who exactly the state must reveal its lethal drug source to or what time frame it has to do so.

Lockett and Warner’s executions are scheduled for April 22 and 29, respectively, said state Corrections Department spokesman Jerry Massie. Massie declined to comment further on any aspect of the executions, including whether or not the state has the drugs necessary to carry them out.

“We will confer with the attorney general’s office once we have received the written order to determine our legal course of action,” Massie said.

In an emailed statement Wednesday, the attorney general’s office said it would appeal the ruling, contending secrecy laws protecting pharmacies have been upheld elsewhere.

“The entire reason for Oklahoma’s confidentiality statute is to protect those who provide lethal injection drugs to the state from threats, coercion and intimidation,” said Diane Clay, spokeswoman for the attorney general. “The issue of confidentiality surrounding the state’s source of lethal injection drugs has been litigated at both the state and federal level and found to be constitutional.”

Clay could not confirm what court they would appeal to, and she was unable to answer questions about what the appeal could mean for the inmates’ executions or if and when they would get the information on the state’s drug source.

An appeal to the state Supreme Court by the attorney general could put a stay on Parrish’s ruling, said Madeline Cohen, Warner’s federal public defender. If that happens, a new ruling would have to confirm Parrish’s decision before her client could know the identity of the drug supplier and decide whether or not to challenge the state’s lethal injection process.

“He’s [Warner] relieved and pleased, but of course the roller coaster is continuing for him,” Cohen said.

The state has 30 days to appeal the ruling, and Lockett and Warner are not allowed the information before that process is complete, said Seth Day, one of the attorneys representing the inmates. Day said they plan to file a new emergency stay of execution request with the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-judge-fi...xecution-law-unconstitutional/article/3947226

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
good. I don't like the government keeping secrets like this for the reason the judge listed. The 'trust us, we're from the government' argument doesn't work

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a way to waste states money. If you're own death row you did seething in humane why do you feel you deserve a humane death. Also what good will know where it's coming from do, it's an injection to end a life I would think it would have a certain discomfort to it, it's not like it will massage you and make it feel like you're being licked by puppies.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope our State Legislature takes note of this situation.

1st. It is illegal to mistreat, abuse, and whatever else to animals. This is taken so seriously they give them shots to "put them down" from their misery or from overcrowded animal shelters. Being this shot of "whatever it is" is considered humane enough to aid animals in their time of dispair..why not humans?? Speaking from a scientific point of view....are we (humans) not in the Animal Kingdom through binomial nomenclature? ? Use veterinarian medication to "put down" inmates on death row...it was good enough for my dogs..it's good enough for them. ***Probably PETA approved***

2. How inhumane is snapping a neck? Is it quick, painless, effective? In other words..use a rope. Don't we use this method (snapping or cutting off)on chickens and turkeys..and my goodness..no-one complains??!!

3. How inhumane is a bullet? Is it quick, effective, and painless? In other words a firing squad. We use th8s method in time of WAR..why not again on civilians??? Don't slaughter houses do this to the head of animals before being processed for..human consumption. ..who complains??!!

4. How inhumane is elcetrocution? Is it quick, effective, and painless? In other words..electric chair.

Note: I cannot "stay" my taxes. I am required to pay them accordingly or will suffer the penalty. So why is my tax money not being follwoed through on these executions? ? Why is my tax money continuing to pay for a longer sentence when they were "budgeted" throught the penal system and an end result would be set??

Please my dear state legislatures...quick trying to figure out how your going to pay for an incomplete Indian museum and START COMING UP WITH A BACK-UP PLAN FOR EXECUTIONS!!!

Think now what should be done if the state runs out of injection juice and what to do if anyone else challenges the execution method.

Hell, go ahead and execute them..THEN..do studies and research for what to do next. My tax money is waiting.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't get it....

Why does it take 30 minutes to kill a human and 30 seconds to put down a dog or cat with an injection.

Shoot the sorry scumbags up with what ever they're using on the cats and dogs and if it hurts so WHAT!!! It probably won't hurt near as much as what ever they did to their victim hurt or the emotional pain the families of their victim hurt. My GAWD! It ought'a freaking hurt.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't get it....

Why does it take 30 minutes to kill a human and 30 seconds to put down a dog or cat with an injection.

Shoot the sorry scumbags up with what ever they're using on the cats and dogs and if it hurts so WHAT!!! It probably won't hurt near as much as what ever they did to their victim hurt or the emotional pain the families of their victim hurt. My GAWD! It ought'a freaking hurt.

I think it would be interesting to hear the opinions of Gregory R. Wilhoit and Ron Williamson about that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom