Oklahoma Youth Hunting and Shooting Program

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Earth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great stories...and kudos to those of you giving the kids the greatest opportunity.

I try to do the same in my area....but didn't have a youngster this year. Mostly my fault, we were real busy in the shop and didn't get the word out to enough people. One local parent told me their son would definitely like to have the chance and would be in touch. Unfortunately, I took their word and stopped looking for a new hunter. I have yet to hear from him! I almost want to call to let them know how they ruined an opportunity for someone else!

Youth Turkey season is around the bend....

Phil

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As soon as my Son and Nephew are too old for youth season, I will be there. You guys don't know what your missing, its the best feeling in the world helping a child.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]
i566.photobucket.com_albums_ss108_Huckelberry75_DSC_0276.jpg

i566.photobucket.com_albums_ss108_Huckelberry75_DSC_0283.jpg

The Grin says it all.
Here are some pics of the young hunter I guided for the hunt, a doe that came in and the small buck that was on her trail..yes, I said the small buck. This little 8 point came in to 60yds and stopped to stare at us. The previous morning, we had this little buck's Big Daddy come into the exact same range/spot etc and stop and look and look and look. The hunter only had a doe tag, and even after the land owner told him to get a buck tag, decided he was happy with a doe.

Big daddy was a main frame heavy beamed 10 point with crab claws out from and stickers on the bases. Unfortunately, I did not take the camera with me the day before, otherwise I would have proof of his bad-self. Or if I had had my bow, I would have grip&grin pictures along with measurements, b/c I would have dropped the big fella like a bad habit. This little guys got a hall pass until at least next year, he still needs some mass.

Regardless, Barrett put a 25-06 smack down on a fine doe, that dressed 105#, at 45yds. She went within a stones throw and piled up. Since the hunt, he has taken his saving from mowing yards etc, and purchased a Savage 30-06 and is bugging his Dad about planning for next year's rifle season. Needless to say, the boy is hooked and another solid outdoorsman in the next generation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom