Okra

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you just leave the stalks and some pods on til the pods dry and start to split before cutting you will have enough seeds for years to come, unless you have a special hybird kind, I would always gather my own seeds and store them in a metal coffee can (back when they made them) would have enough seeds for years and never had a problem.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have given up ( been buried by) on the okra. Every year once we’ve had enough I leave the pods on the plant well into the winter where they will dry. I then harvest the pods and store until spring. Then I strip the seeds for planting. I haven’t purchased okra seed in years.

As for freezing. We cut it and coat with cornmeal ( the way we prefer to fry it). It is bagged and frozen. Fries up almost as good as fresh.

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We freeze the full pod then pull them out when we want and they taste just as good as fresh. Tried cutting and seasoning two years but in our experience freezing it full and fresh gives great results.
We always have more than we need from the garden and chickens. Froze ten pounds of tomatoes today and gave away probably seven dozen eggs last weekend. I don’t know why we do things this way but we do.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
If you just leave the stalks and some pods on til the pods dry and start to split before cutting you will have enough seeds for years to come, unless you have a special hybird kind, I would always gather my own seeds and store them in a metal coffee can (back when they made them) would have enough seeds for years and never had a problem.
I've done that the last couple of years and works great. I may try freezing some whole this wknd if can't find anyone to give to.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I've done that the last couple of years and works great. I may try freezing some whole this wknd if can't find anyone to give to.
Back when we had a garden, we would freeze it whole. When time to get it out for eating, we left it whole and slightly frozen, made up a batter to dip it in before going into the deep fryer. Leave some stalk for a handle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom