One-buck proposal for the combined muzzleloader and gun seasons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMHNTN - Yes

I am in favor of the new proposal. We HAVE to reduce the number of does if we want to see better quality bucks in the long run. "Let then go so they can grow" I am strictly hunting does this year unless it is a superb buck.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So will we be allowed to kill 2 bucks with a bow and none with a gun?

Yes, but that is the case right now as well.

sleeperx4 said:
I would even support the regulation that some of the other states have, that you must check in a doe before you can buy a buck tag.

I would support this to get the second buck tag.

I don't support a point restriction at all. Like mentioned above, you would still be taking the best genetics from the younger age classes. Big mature 6 points would live because they don't meet the point restriction and then those genetics would be passed around.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's all a conspiracy! Just kidding, someone had to bring it up.

I feel the same about point restrictions as fishfurlife and okhunter, the best genetics would be taken out. I saw several nice 2 year old 8 points this year that will be worthy of hunting possibly next year. It's public land, otherwise I'd pass on them next year too. Who knows, I'm getting more picky with time. I think that killing a doe before earning your second buck tag is a great idea and it'd encourage others to actually check the deer they take. Now, if we could get them to include the tags with the license like so many other states do, that'd be great.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am somewhat in favor however don't talk about "quality buck" when so many people continue to shoot 2.5year old 8 pts . No offense to anyone but if you want a trophy let the young ones walk . I think too many people pay for leases and feel they need to tag out to make it worth it. Of course all of us with family, kids and jobs have limited time to be in the field which just adds to the problem. Let em walk and grow em big. Age matters.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm all about the new proposal.

I wish the ODWC would re-evaluate their antlerless days in Zone 10, SE Oklahoma. Perhaps their buck to doe ratio is not as far off as the rest of the state, but I somehow doubt that is the reasoning. Having only three days to take a doe during gun season and no bonus holiday season is flat out ridiculous. If you really want to increase the number of does taken, shouldn't you provide more opportunities to harvest a doe? I would love to hear the actual reason they came up with these dates.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the idea of limiting the buck harvest with mz and gun to 1 buck. I wish they would also increase the antlered tags to twice the price of non antlered tags to help reduce buck harvest.

electriccowboy

Marksman
Reaction score
If they want to increase the # of mature bucks, why not just have 2 or 3 years of no bucks taken and then start of with limited buck harvest.
I know as a hunter I would prefer a mature buck to shoot at. I am sure if they knocked out buck harvest for a few years they would hear some yells about it, but I for one would be happy to take a few does in those years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom