One-buck proposal for the combined muzzleloader and gun seasons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deercrz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was at the processer he said 100% online check station next year he was pissed he knows what it will do poaching will get even more out of control. And I agree it will. Look how it has went up since online started. If I hunted private land I would be in favor of earn a tag but also easier to manage your herd I would think. But I hunt public land and I would have not gotten to shoot the fine bucks I did this year by earning a tag. Buck I shot during rifle was first deer I seen. I still took a quality doe after. Just need more responsible hunters. I have taken my share of small bucks and I made my decision to shoot mature deer this year and it paid off I believe I took two of the best quality bucks in my area. And when checked by game warden he also confirmed I had taken quality deer. Best he had seen so far on the public land Im hunting.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was at the processer he said 100% online check station next year he was pissed he knows what it will do poaching will get even more out of control. And I agree it will. Look how it has went up since online started.

I don't see how. I haven't observed an increase in poaching since the transition. The same ones that disregarded the law with physical checkstations will do so regardless. Check stations didn't really check anything or provide any kind of enforcement. Many check station workers never lifted a finger had had you complete the entire process. All they do is issue a carcass tag which is the same as the carcass tag you print out or the confirmation number you get from the online check-in today. I assume that it is mostly a cost cutting measure. Poachers are going to poach regardless.

Deercrz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see how. I haven't observed an increase in poaching since the transition. The same ones that disregarded the law with physical checkstations will do so regardless. Check stations didn't really check anything or provide any kind of enforcement. Many check station workers never lifted a finger had had you complete the entire process. All they do is issue a carcass tag which is the same as the carcass tag you print out or the confirmation number you get from the online check-in today. I assume that it is mostly a cost cutting measure. Poachers are going to poach regardless.

I figure it is a cut back of expenses. And no check stations don't do much but I also think there is more chance for some people to just shoot a buck and just happen to forget to check it in and mysteriously be hunting for another Buck the next time out. Especially if they go to a 1 Buck limit. It really doesn't mean much to me whatever the changes I will abide by the laws and those who don't wont care anyway.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, what happened to the good ol days when you just deer hunted and were thankful for what you killed. Getting real complicated now... I like big bucks as much as anybody, but the big antler, bigger is better mentality that permeates our sport and society is generally detrimental to both...

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the one buck per year idea. I would rather take a good mature buck as a couple of small animals. I've noticed the bucks are generally better in my hunting area but I think the main reason is most of the hunters in my area just want to shoot a nice animal. Kind of self regulated you might say.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would much rather see a one buck limit period.
As for ARs, they have proven to do the complete opposite and hurt the genetics in an area. Most places that have tried or implemented them stopped after a few years. Like stated above, everyone will be killing 1.5-2.5 y/o eight points which are your best genertics and it leaves chit bucks. It's been tested and studied time and time again and it just doesn't work. Texas did a different approach....
The way I see it Kansas has no reason to be "that much" better than us as far as buck quality but they are. They have a one buck limit and no check in at all. So we know it works! I'm sure some of you have had the pleasure of hunting Kansas and know what I mean. For those that haven't, it's a night and day difference as soon as you get a mile over the boarder. There is no reason it should be that way. One other thing... Get rifle away from the rut!!!

Poachers gonna poach, plain and simple. But I wonder how many ML bucks will be ran home and checked in as archery kills?

Latest posts

Top Bottom