Only YOU Can Protect Net Neutrality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Michael Powell can spin it anyway he wants but the "four freedoms" her espouses in this piece are the same freedoms that verizon sued to overturn in federal court.
That is a fact.

Again, it is Verizon that started this crap and forced the hand of the FCC.
They even have their own commissioner.
The minority opinion, cited earlier in this thread, was written by Ajit Pai.
Ajit Pai was a lawyer at Verizon before being apointed to the commission.

Screw Verizon, as far as I'm concerned take the board out and tar and feather them. Title II is a bunch of BS, and unless you have ever been forced to work under the practices, constraints, giveaways, and all around horrible business conditions it creates then you don't know a da@mn thing about what you're talking about.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Screw Verizon, as far as I'm concerned take the board out and tar and feather them. Title II is a bunch of BS, and unless you have ever been forced to work under the practices, constraints, giveaways, and all around horrible business conditions it creates then you don't know a da@mn thing about what you're talking about.
Finally something we agree on.

Still, Verizon persued the case in federal court and won.
The court said the FCC couldn't stop Verizon from blocking sites if they are held as title 1 but they could under title 2.
So, that is what they are now, a title 2 common carrier.
And all because they saw a way to jack their profit margins up by throttling and blocking.
I haven't a bit of pity for them.
The stockholders should bounce the entire management.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Net neutrality will not: increase your broadband speed / increase deployment where it is not already (it'll probably cut it) / increase reliability / or lower you bill (it'll probably increase that too). But I can almost guarantee you'll find tucked away in it verbiage that will allow FCC oversight of content. It'll be something along the lines of "for the social good" or "to promote fairness" or some other PC sounding BS. That will allow the FCC to shut down non politically correct sites that don't tote the party line.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Net neutrality will not: increase your broadband speed / increase deployment where it is not already (it'll probably cut it) / increase reliability / or lower you bill (it'll probably increase that too). But I can almost guarantee you'll find tucked away in it verbiage that will allow FCC oversight of content. It'll be something along the lines of "for the social good" or "to promote fairness" or some other PC sounding BS. That will allow the FCC to shut down non politically correct sites that don't tote the party line.
That is what Rush Limbaugh claimed on the radio the other day.
He said if MSNBC doesn't get enough traffic the FCC will throttle the fox news website.
Course, Rush is an idiot blowhard too.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does that mean Net Neutrality will end up being that? I don't know, but if that's what the groups supporting it want, then I don't trust anything they are cheering about.
If you mean the groups like your sister's, I'll throw in with you on that, but there are groups and people from all parts of the political spectrum on both sides of this issue. The most cogent thought I've heard on this whole issue came from Tom Merritt (who's in the video I posted above) when he said if you think net neutrality is a partisan political issue, then you don't understand the question.

The actual solution to the NN problem is competition, but how do you get that in what doesn't even resemble a free market?

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He said if MSNBC doesn't get enough traffic the FCC will throttle the fox news website.

I wouldn't know about Rush because I don't listen to him or any of the other talking heads. I'm basing my guess about censorship on what I've heard politicians espousing (from both parties but mostly the left) for the last couple of decades.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Of course you cherry picked what your wanted us to hear.

In actuality Rush was making a joke that was an analogy to net neutrality.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't know about Rush because I don't listen to him or any of the other talking heads. I'm basing my guess about censorship on what I've heard politicians espousing (from both parties but mostly the left) for the last couple of decades.
There is a solution that would work.

The FCC receives it's regulatory authority from congressional statute.
Title 1 and title 2 regulation categories are part of the framework in that statute.

Congress can write a new telecommunications bill that redefines title 1 category to allow the FCC to prevent throttling and blocking of internet traffic.
That way the ISPs could go back into category 1 and avoid the more onerous provisions of title 2 regulation.

That telecommunications bill is going to cost them though.
It costs a lot more money to lobby 535 congressman and senators than it costs to lobby 5 FCC commissioners.

Latest posts

Top Bottom