Open carry harassment...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colb

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
No. I don't support the open carrying for the purpose to draw attention to the fact one is open carrying.
That (drawing attention) would be at open carry events or long gun open carry.

I open carry every day. It has nothing to do with attention, and everything to do with protection. You're entitled to your opinion, though.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That (drawing attention) would be at open carry events or long gun open carry.

I open carry every day. It has nothing to do with attention, and everything to do with protection. You're entitled to your opinion, though.

That's great that you choose to open carry. But, when you're prohibited from a business that doesn't allow open carry, do you spend your money elsewhere? Or do you stand out front declaring how it's your right?

colb

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's great that you choose to open carry. But, when you're prohibited from a business that doesn't allow open carry, do you spend your money elsewhere? Or do you stand out front declaring how it's your right?

Initially, I spend my money elsewhere. But at times, I also will go up the food chain to inform them of my decision, and why. This is actually productive, as businesses sometimes will change their policies, based on customer feedback. It's happened here in Oklahoma (Chelinos), and in Missouri. While neither were because of my actions, it was due to customers voicing concern.

As for standing outside and declaring my rights: are you referring to an organized protest? Or just some dude on the corner carrying a shouldered AR15? There's a big difference between the two.

Generally, there's no need for an organized protest in response to a private business outlawing open carry (or firearms). A private business can operate under their own guidelines and are not required to follow state carry laws. In the event of a public Zoo, however, it becomes a much different issue altogether. In Missouri, the zoo is not private property, and state laws and regulations are required to be kept. Banning firearms would be in violation of state law. Typical when people want change in government behavior, it's not unusual to protest.

Personally, I've never had the need to publicly protest the violation of my rights. Oklahoma is pretty good about respecting my open carry (aside from a few businesses).

Latest posts

Top Bottom