Open carry weapons, holsters & license display!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO if I were a LEO and someone reaches towards their weapon as I approach, I would go on alert

The secret is no quick moves, don't reach for it until asked for the license.. and then tell the officer that the green tag your reaching for contains your license. No Bad Guy is likely to ever be illegally carrying in the open.. and if one were foolish enough to do so then he / she isn't just gonna stand there and wait for a LEO to ask him for a License.. he / she is gonna turn Jack rabbit and haul their butt out-of-there as fast as they can.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really wish everybody would calm down and don't fret this. If you get ID'd, what's the big deal? Do you go off on the bartender who asks for an ID? What about the guy who collects your ticket at sporting events? No difference...we're all just doing our job.

Bears repeating ... in bold ...

I've talked GC into taking nearly the entire month of November off to hang out with his darling bride ... I wasn't even thinking about the timing but now I see it was genius ... :mosh:

ETA: And I wonder how many folks will skim right over this part of the above-linked statute ...

"The person shall be required to have possession of his or her valid handgun license and a valid Oklahoma driver license or an Oklahoma State photo identification at all times when in possession of an authorized pistol."

... in their rush to get that gun out there in the open so they can "educate the public" and argue with an officer who may ask for ID.

I've stated before that I'm not against open carry but danged, some of you guys are making me nervous and I'm not even a liberal ...

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What if your open carrying and a plain cloths ask for your ID? Is it ok to ask for his credentials first? A badge just doesnt mean much to me anymore, anybody can buy one.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't be surprised if you're asked to take it out of the container/case/wallet/whatever. An example...most women carry their license in a checkbook wallet. I would never take the wallet, I'd ask them to take it out and hand it to me. Too easy to imply or accuse an officer stole something that was in there with the I.D.

Another problem I predict will arise is the out of state visitors that require no permit. Didn't the Governor recently sign into law a statute that would allow these folks to carry in this state without a permit? Officers will need a list of these states. Just because they say "I don't have a permit" is going to require some further investigation.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What if your open carrying and a plain cloths ask for your ID? Is it ok to ask for his credentials first? A badge just doesnt mean much to me anymore, anybody can buy one.

If they really are an officer, they are also required to have a Department Issued commission card.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yeah, I do want to go there. Show me where you, as a Law Enforcement Officer, are REQUIRED to check permits of people carrying an open firearm.

I see where I am required to have the permit. I see where I must disclose to you that I am carrying a concealed handgun. I see where I am required to have a state issued photo ID while carrying a firearm. You have yet to show me where you, as Law Enforcement, are required by law to to check every-single-person you see carrying a firearm. Are you also required to check the drivers license of every-single-person driving a vehicle, because the wording is similar? Am I making sense?

I'm not making the argument that you do not have the right to check whenever you want, but your case is that you *have* to check, whether you want to or not. . .not matter how innocuous the situation may be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom