Opinions of Savage AXIS (.223) v. Mossberg MVP (.223)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I am familiar in general terms with both rifles but have not owned or used either. I am interested in a .223 bolt action and these seem like readily available and decent pricepoint rifles (though AXIS is considerably cheaper).

I would like opinions on them from folks who have used them.

Thank You,

Mugsy

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've shot both and I have a savage and I love it for what it is. It shoots as good as my model 10s, 12s, and 110s but I don't have to care about scratches. I threw a vortex 3x9-50 on it and it will shoot 3/4 ish groups at 100 with fiocchi v-max. If you are ever up this way I will let you shoot it, if you'd like. Two pointers, you can change the trigger spring and get the trigger down to 3 lbs very easily and depending what scope you put on it, keep in mind even the 223 is built on a long action so if you go weaver bases, you'll need at least one 402 if you have a short scope

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love the Savage Accutrigger... That being said, Mossberg is having trouble in the last decade (orlonger) with quality control... Whereas Savage has vastly improved.

On value rifles, I'd try to swing a Ruger American Rifle, or at minimum a Remington 700 ADL/SPS

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love the Savage Accutrigger... That being said, Mossberg is having trouble in the last decade (orlonger) with quality control... Whereas Savage has vastly improved.

On value rifles, I'd try to swing a Ruger American Rifle, or at minimum a Remington 700 ADL/SPS
I'm interested in your experience with the two of these rifles?

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no experience with the new Ruger American Rifle, just read excellent reviews from David Petzel.

The Remington 700 is an excellent platform, in my personal experience, for not only acceptable out of the box accuracy, but also future add on improvements ie: barrels, stocks, triggers... The biggest drawback to the current 700's is the finish.

My savage 12 LRP is by far my favorite boxed rifle (non custom built rifle) Accurate, exceptional trigger, smooth action that can take some punishment. I have nothing bad to say of it

Mossberg has become a long gun equivalent of Taurus in my hands... Poor craftsmanship, poor quality control, sub-par techniques and materials... They'll shoot, probably well for a while, but inevitably become a wallhanger well before it should... But that's just my opinion of them.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Another to look at is CZ. They manufacture several different rifles, and I've yet to hear of a poorly made, or one with poor accuracy. I have two, one is the 452 Lux left hand in .22lr, and the other is the 527 American left handed in .223. Both rifles come with free floated barrels, single set triggers(even though most of the time the regular trigger is fine enough), nice wood, and nice bluing.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another to look at is CZ. They manufacture several different rifles, and I've yet to hear of a poorly made, or one with poor accuracy. I have two, one is the 452 Lux left hand in .22lr, and the other is the 527 American left handed in .223. Both rifles come with free floated barrels, single set triggers(even though most of the time the regular trigger is fine enough), nice wood, and nice bluing.

It just so happens that I am a lefty too which on bolt actions does make some difference to me. Are either of the CZ rifles made in the USA?